Bowel resection with temporary iliostomy.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. You would have all see me here before. Had one severe bout of diver last November. Kept going back to gastro doc and telling him I wasn't right. To cut a very long story short, he eventually did another colonoscopy, couldn't complete it due to obstruction. Then week later virtual colonoscopy which is still all the prep, but then a scan that can see inside the bowel. He then told me to my horror there was a " suspicious lesion in there". Had perfectly normal colonoscopy 3 years ago! So referred me to a surgeon. He said I will do another colonoscopy if you don't mind going through it all again. He was wonderful. Came straight to me after I woke up and said it is NOT cancer. Oh the relief! Later he said he thought I needed an op due to my ongoing symptoms. So a week later I had a bowel resection with temporary iliostomy. Very confrontational. But he found a huge phlegmon( mass of inflammatory material  stuck to my backbone, bladder, and an abscess, which did not show up on blood tests. No wonder I felt ill! He thinks after the reversal in about 9 weeks I should feel so much better. He said I've had this going on for 2 years culminating in a massive infection last year. The bag is necessary to let it all heal. He said it was difficult for him to sort it all out in there. I'm 3 weeks post op. Still feeling rough. Anyone else had this done ( would really like to hear some good news as this has been a nightmare for me. And I will never go back to the gastroenterologist. He missed so many cues. Now I just want to feel better. Felinia I hope you see this, I will be in touch. 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Our stories are very similar.  I was first diagnosed with acute Diverticulitis July 2016. Had my 1 & only colonoscopy November 2016. From July to November I had 4 attacks.  Kept telling my doctor something more was wrong. ..just didn't feel right. The colonoscopy revealed 3 pockets, 1 was inflamed so I was told I had to live with it.  Well 18 months total I had 14+ attacks.  Finally confronted my doctor asking him if he was waiting for me to die before he wrote out a referral for surgery.  I refused to leave his office until I had the letter in my hand. I am also 3 weeks out of surgery which literally saved my life.  Apparently my abdomen was full of poisonous fluids so I too had the drain while in the hospital.  It was the best decision ever and slowly recuperating.  It takes time and take full advantage of the pain meds.  Hope everything is well for you. 

• Posted

Thanks Glenda. Did you have the iliostomy bag. I am struggling a bit with the pain meds. Was taking 1/2 endone twice a day but feeling dreadful when  it wore off, so trying to do without. Just taking paracetamol. I am struggling with nausea too. I hate that. Would rather have pain! Have you had any of those problems? 
    • Posted

In the hospital they were giving me a pain med that started with a D every 2 hours. I just took full advantage and just slept.  Eating was another matter....the food was horrible so i literally forced myself to eat at least half.  You have to eat something before taking pain meds otherwise it'll make you violently nauseated.  I was released after 6 days with Norco and Valium. With all the news hype I was afraid to take the full amount prescribed. Got the riot act from my surgeon.  Morning routine I eat a bowl of cream of wheat, take the Valium  (for muscle spasms ), wait a couple hours and take 2 Norco.  I'm up early 5a.m. so long as I stick with my schedule most of the pain is gone. I take my 2nd dose of Valium about 4, then good for the night. I'm staying on the soft diet until 6 weeks then will slowly start reintroducing other foods in my diet...plus eat in moderation and drink lots of water. Walk as much as you can,  it really does help with the healing process. My goal is to be pain med free by next week.  Take only if I absolutely need to.

• Posted

I am taking Valium too. I have acute anxiety. I'm not really struggling with pain, but really nauseous today and haven't had anything to make me feel sick! I'm struggling with moving around because of the nausea. I have been told to watch out for dehydration because you lose fluid because of the iliostomy bag. Changing the bag is a challenge, but I've managed well. It's really the not eating that's getting to me now. Need to eat for nourishment! May need to see surgeon again if it keeps up. 

• Posted

Hi Glenda. Just saw this. Yes I can eat banana, my main problem atm is nausea in mornings. It does wear off towards evening but it's getting me down. I don't vomit, or I would definitely need to ring surgeon,,because of dehydration. It's a bit debilitating when you feel sick. Hopefully this won't continue. 

• Posted

Unfortunately in my case the nausea never went away and yes was horrible in the mornings.  I compared it to a severe stomach flu or morning sickness nausea. The only thing that helped me was to eat a banana  then later something else like a scrambled egg once the nausea subsided enough to stand the smell.
  • Posted

Bless your heart I was so scared reading your post but when I seen NO cancer I was so happy!!! Do they put you to sleep for a virtual colonoscopy?
    • Posted

No need to, because it's just a scan, even though you still need to do prep. Here in Australia they knock you out for ordinary colonoscopy though, thank goodness! Yes I was so relieved when I got the no cancer news. The surgeon said when he saw the same scan the gastroenterologist saw he didn't think it looked like cancer at all. Just shows, go straight to the experts that do this all the time. Thanks for your lovely comment . 

• Posted

Oh Rhianna, so glad to read how you persevered and pushed to find out what what wrong and finally they found the problem, and it was taken care of and now you are recovering.  This is the greatest news!!  Yes of course your temporary ilieostomy is adding to the nightmare but allowing the most ideal situation to heal properly is what you want after waiting TWO years!!! You don’t want anything going wrong!!! Keep us updated!!!  Congrats!😄

• Posted

Thanks Vic. It is a relief to know it will be resolved. Obviously there is a bit of a journey yet but hoping there's no complications, or too much nausea, I am on the right track at last! Thanks for your lovely message . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.