Bowel spasm during colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy recently under sedation which wore off before the procedure was finished.  Towards the end before the camera was taken out, the dr added something Intravenous. I asked what it was and she said my bowel had gone into spasm as it didn’t like the camera in it.

Has anyone had this as I’m not sure what it means.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It’s nothing significant. It just means your colon muscles went into a spasm, bit like a cramp. It’s all a bit confusing to the gut (which has a mini brain) because things are meant to go in the outward direction and not the inward direction.  They just gave you an anti spasmodic, but like IBS medication. Nothing to worry about.
  • Posted

It’s nothing significant. It just means your colon muscles went into a spasm, bit like a cramp. It’s all a bit confusing to the gut (which has a mini brain) because things are meant to go in the outward direction and not the inward direction.  They just gave you an anti spasmodic, but like IBS medication. Nothing to worry about.
    • Posted

Thank you for that, I wasn’t too concerned just curious so at least I know now what it was all about.
    • Posted

A pleasure. The gut is a fascinating thing. It apparently possesses a rudimentary brain spread out in its cells. And it’s interesting how significant it is in our speech, second to the heart. (Gut feeling, I hate his guts and many more) and our relationship with it is deep and strange. I won’t go into it here but the old penalty for High Treason involved the guts too. Once you pass up from the ano/rectal bit (which sadly can feel pain) the gut itself cannot feel a wound for instance (hence why they can remove polyps during a colonoscopy without you going ouch) but it does feel movement and stretching so that is why bowel spasms can be very painful and why gas can be painful. Wonderful and amazing organ with plumbing that is incredible but when it’s playing up, very miserable...Hope you’re fine now and keep that way! David.
  • Posted

Hi, I have always been told that the bowels get angry easily! I call them meanies!!! I have heard this from people with your experience, and those with bowel surgeries. I am thinking that is what the nurse meant. Your bowels were surely irritated by the camera disturbing things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.