Bowels - 2 weeks after ending Cipro/Flagyl

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. First time poster. My 55 yr old husband had his first Diverticulitis attack 4wks ago. Dx in Emerg with a CT scan. 15 days of Cipro/Flagyl. Clear fluids for 4 days then liquid diet for 3 more days. Pain gone since week 1. Started 90 billion a day probiotic 2 weeks ago when Rx's were done. Still on low fibre diet but no normal BMs yet. Still constant diarrhea. Could it be fom the probiotic?Or is tht normal 2weeks after meds stopped? Thanks so much

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It could be from the antibiotics and the liquid diet. The flagyl and cipro is so harsh. For me that was almost worse than the infection. He might want to run it by his doctor just to see if he needs to change diet..
  • Posted

Psyllium get on a daily regiment and you will get regular without straining. It will make your BMs regular and back to normal. Read all the other posts and take notice of each suffers success stories in these forums. Be your own advocate and you will be back to a normal life within days. God bless.

Take care.

• Posted

Diver get on a regiment of psyllium every day. It acts like a laxative and will make you regular and will push all out of your colon. When your colon is clean your not going to get Diverticulitis.

Psyllium is mainly used as a dietary fiber to relieve symptoms of both constipation and mild diarrhea and occasionally as a food thickener. Research has also shown benefits in reducing cholesterol levels.

The plant from which the seeds are extracted tolerates dry and cool climates and is mainly cultivated in northern India. Psyllium products are marketed under several brand names, such as Metamucil, Fybogel, Konsyl, and Lunelax.

• Posted

I know from reading lots of threads that you guys are big fans of psyllium, but it seems from diverswife's original post that her husband is not yet supposed to be consuming much fibre, at least not until okayed by his doctor.

To diverswife, I hope your husband is starting to see improvement but if not, and particularly if stools are watery rather than, say, simply soft/unformed, you should report this ot the doctor.

• Posted

It's Diverswife. Thanks for all the info. We started to increase more veggies this weekend and even a tiny piece of steak for new years eve (with no problems yet). He's still supposed to be on a farily low residue diet, but starting to add foods now. Dietitian suggested B Complex vitamin, fish oil, a milder probiotic than the 90 billion he was on and 'Fibreific' a chicory based pure fibre supplement vs psyllium. They suggested that psyllium is more "scratchy" for the intestine especially after a bad attack. We made tons of bone broth & hope to add more veggies to his diet soon. Getting sick of white bread (yuck), but experimenting with Lavash and Naan for some variety.

Thanks for the advice and Happy New Year to all!!

• Posted

Probiotic can be dicy, you need to find the right one for him, otherwise diarrhea. 

I used to get Diverticulitis attacks a few times a year.

For me I solved my problem, and take a daily Probiotic which agreed with me, along with smartfiber which is gemtle on the system.

Stop taking IB, advil and high gluten food like pizza and bagels.

No very large meals.

I have not had an attack in years. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.