Bowels following posterior repair

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a posterior repair and perienum reconstruction 3 months ago. I’ve been taking movicol daily ever since (my surgeon wants me to take it forever now to prevent straining) but I have two concerns - 1) I am so bloated and my tummy is so swollen. I know this is a side effect of movicol so I wondered if anyone had any remedies for it? I look 4 months pregnant all the time! 2) my bowels were much better after the op but in the last 2-3 weeks they’ve slipped back into their old habits. Is this is a sign the prolapse is back? I don’t want to take more movicol for fear of swelling even more but I’m so uncomfortable. 

Is anyone else on movicol and experiencing the same side effect? Are there any alternatives?  Any advice gratefully received. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandie, try adding magnesium citrate 500 mg, one a day. Works for me, had the same op.
  • Posted

maybe you should consult your dr ,i know few people who have had the op but none are on movicol .no help to you sorry
  • Posted

Have you tried probiotics like Symprove or VSL#3? I would be very wary of taking a stool softener/laxative for the rest of my life to be honest. 

• Posted

Hi I’ve tried to reply but I included a product name so it’s being moderated! I would be wary of taking stool softener/ laxative for the rest of my life. Have you tried probiotics? Some are better than others if you private message me I can give you the names and my experience 
    • Posted

Movicol is not hAbit forming like laxatives. All it does is draw water into colon for easy passing of stool.

After this op it's very important to not strain ever.. I had tvh and anterior in January,I still take 2 day when it works wonders.. It's not at all harmful.

I take probiotics too but all they do is multiply the good bacteria in the gut.

The main reason for failure with rectocele is straining.. Good luck ladiesx

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl, 

Thanks for your reply. Would you suggest I take 2 a day? Would one not be sufficient to do the trick?  Do you get the bloating and swollen tummy with it? 

• Posted

Hi hun

2 works well for me.. It can cause bloating I n some people but I really watch what I eat and eat small so I tend to not be so bloaty. The op will make you swell though as your internal tissues tire through the day.

Since taking movicol I go every single day some days twice,three times.

It's so much better than S straining. Do you use a stool also? They are a godsend for correct colon position.

• Posted

Everyone has a different experience and for me the probiotics I take have helped enormously. I can’t mention their names but they have been clinically trialled and were prescribed to me by a gastroenterologist. I get what you say about straining and that’s why diet (or everything you put in) is important as it helps how it comes out. 
    • Posted

Welshgirls right,they aren’t stimulant laxatives, just draw water into your bowel, you do need to drink more though. Two a day might give you the runs, as might one and magnesium, it’s all trial and error really. It was my colorectal surgeon who told me to take  Laxido/ movicol every day, for life if necessary. My rectocele repair failed, but it’s not as bad as it was originally,

I would rather take a harmless solution than have another repair. I have no problems at all with bowel issues now.

• Posted

im just eight weeks after my pelvic repairs and coil removal which was a nightmare . and im still on laxitives and i do find i have a swollen stomach all day . but then i have ibs so i have to take them so  i feel for you im fed up with swollen tummy but i still have swelling inside so once that goes i will start up swimming hopefully . and small walks see if that helps bring tummy down . big hugs hun know how you feel it keeps getting me down as at moment still cant do much x
  • Posted

Hi Mandie,

The best thing I’ve found is eating kiwis with the skins on.  It’s amazing the effect it has and kiwis are healthy for you anyway so no problems taking them every day for the rest of your life. I take them everywhere I go.  I would start with 1 a day 1st. 

Good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.