Boyfriend in a manic state

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

My boyfriend is in a really manic state. I don't know if he has bipolar as he's always in denial he has any kind of mental illness but right now he's screaming that he's going to kill my family, he does not stop screaming, he's completely out of touch with reality. I get all the blame (I've just been ill myself with anxiety attacks etc). I have been hiding in the bedroom away from him all day. I don't know what to do but I can't cope anymore 😢

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Call the police who will take him to hospital,he'll thank you for it
  • Posted

Yes call police if you can and tell them you need help, they'll take him to hospital and get him assessed - safest for both of you and children if theyre also in the house
    • Posted

No children involved but he has gone out & turned his phone off. So I don't even know what to do now 😢
  • Posted

Hi there.  Please, you must call the police, especially after threats of killing family after the horror stories in the media lately.  They will find him and take him to a place of safety and have him assessed and like jmcg said, he will thank you for it after this is all over.

Wendy

• Posted

You are experiencing criminal domestic abuse - mental abuse with the threat of physical abuse. Most bipolar people are not aggressive or violent, and if he is bipolar (he could have various mental disorders, or none) it is his decision to respond to his internal mania by being aggressive and threatening to you or others. Like anyone, I would need to know a lot more to give sound advice, but my advice is to separate from him (you got somewhere you can go? do you have kids?) until he agrees to see a health professional to find out whats wrong with him. You should also contact your own GP or other heatlh/helping professionals, tell them your situation, and get these events documented and get immediate advice on what to do. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes I did think he could control the aggressive side! I don't have children & he's been to the doctor just on a waiting list to see a psychologist. I'm also going through anxiety attacks and depression myself so this is hard. He didn't sleep again even after being prescribed sleeping tablets x

• Posted

Hi RW,

A couple of things. First, I hope your partner is getting better and you're both ok!

1) First, keep yourself safe. I'm bipolar, and manic episodes can be extremely dangerous. You need to check your partner to see if he has 'insight'- if he's lost control and doesn't realise what he's doing, you need to keep yourself safe.

2) I'm pleased to read he's been referred. Has he seen a psychiatrist before? A psychiatrist will be able to prescribe medication for him.

3) This one is important. If your partner continues to behave like he has, then first ask him to go with your A & E. There he will be seen by a psychiatric nurse, and a decision will be made about whether he needs to be hospitalised (sectioned) or can wait to see the psychiatrist. MH services in the UK are nutoriously dreadful due to lack of funding, but if he is clearly psychotic and out of touch with reality, the chances are he will be hospitalised for his own good and the good of everyone around him. If the above fails, call the police immeadiately. They will take him either into custody or a 'Place of Safety' or a Section 136 suite, where he will be seen immeadiately by a doctor, and either sectioned or let go, depending on whether there was any criminal behavior involved in his being arrested. 

4) Above all, keep yourself safe. Mania can be dangerous as I said above and, whilst 9 times out of 10 it can be managed, don't take chances that compromise your own safety. 

I hope the above helps- please comment when you have more info so we know you're both ok!

Charlie

• Posted

Hi Charlie thanks for your reply.

My boyfriend was sectioned on Sunday and taken to a hospital 300 miles away. I can't see him and can barely speak to him. He's still very unwell and could be in hospital for 3 months.

I am struggling to cope on my own. My anxiety is really bad (woke up at 4 very anxious)

Thanks

• Posted

RW - are you on meds? Sounds like you might benefit from a short course of sleeping pills and/or benzodiazepines until you are feeling better (you don't want to take these for too long, they are more habituating than heroin). Do you have friends/relatives you can talk to about your problems? If not, you should seek counselling/therapy - bottling this stuff up will make your head fizz ... good luck, and keep strong. I hope your boyfriend gets better, for himself and you.
    • Posted

I was on citalopram but it made me worse so I stopped. I got prescribed lorazepam so not sure they'd give me anymore (I've finished the ones I got given) as before my boyfriend was sectioned I had depression and anxiety which did begin to get better... Then my boyfriend got sectioned and it's all come back sad

My family live 200 miles away and I really don't want to tell them about this as they wouldn't want me to be with him.

I am speaking with friends which helps.

Thank you, I really hope he has a fast recovery x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.