Boyfriend may have genital herpes. Can anyone help educate me a little bit?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

sorry if this is a long post, I just would like some advice.

Me and my boyfriend have been together nearly 6 months and recently he's been feeling ill, hes had a cough and feeling tired. Also he's had a few spots appear on the bottom of his scrotum that he says sting a little every now and then but they're not painful, and another single spot in the area between the anus and the scrotum which he says is painful. Theyve been there about a week. hes been looking online and he thinks he may have herpes and is going to have a blood test done to confirm/deny it.

I've been doing some research myself and most places say that the first outbreak will happen soon after being infected but he hasn't cheated on me and I believe him. Is it possible that it's not herpes?

And if it is does that mean we will always have to use a condom when we have sex in the future, even if he's not having an outbreak?

He's very worried about passing it onto me but as we've already had unprotected sex (we were both tested and I'm on the pill) could I already be infected anyway????

I love him and I want to be there for him and support him so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I’m going through the same thing. My boyfriend got tested and his results come back tomorrow and I want to support

Him and eveything and yes you guys will have to use protection until after outbreak 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Thank you for replying and it's comforting to hear someone else is going through the same thing, though I of course I wish it was under better circumstances😔 We're abstaining from sex at the moment as he's not comfortable risking it and I understand that. So we're just waiting the test results.

How did your guys test results go? you don't have to say if you don't want to.

I think there's such a major bad rep associated with it when at most it's just a mild skin condition but of course it does make you and your partner worry a lot.

• Posted

Hi Jane

Of course it might not turn out to be Herpes but if is I would recommend avoiding sex altogether during an outbreak. Condoms only provide limited protection, particualrly as the condome wouldn't cover the area where the lesions are.

The better news is that between outbreaks its not passed on very often. It depends on your attitude to risk but if it were me I would say go on having condom free sex between outbreaks but ask your boyfriend to be very vigilant for outbreaks and discontinue sex at the very first tingle or other sign of it coming back.

Best of luck to you

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your reply. We're not having sex at the moment due to the outbreak for that reason.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.