BP goes up when cold

Posted , 3 users are following.

My wife's blood pressure is reasonable when she is warm but in cooler weather it goes up as much as 20 points systolic. Does anyone experience this, please? At present she tapering down on Prednisilone (1mg daily) after about 18 months treament for polymyalgia and is applying a Minitrans5 patch every 24 hours for blood pressure. I have read of someone in Mallorca who in the winter is prescribed a higher ose of whateverbp drug he is on than in the summer but my wife's reaction can varies from one warm day to the next colder one.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Colin its a well known fact that BP alters with times during the day, food, drink, activity, medication, caffeine etc etc and one that seems to make it spike is the cold, I don't know where you are but in most countries they tell you don't do snow shovelling cause it sky rockets your BP like nothing else LOL is your wife prone to the cold, or is it that its cold where you are, if I'm cold it spikes my top number the systolic but not the dystolic, I make sure now I'm warm as in shoe and socks on, if its very hot that will raise it too but not so much.

• Posted

Hi Colin

The reason why blood pressure can reduce s bit in warmer weather is because blood vessels vasodilate. This always blood to flow easier as there is less resistance against the vessel walls.

I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.