BP Goes Very High AGAIN!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well last time I took my BP was a few days ago, said 130/86, today I went to the dr for my checkup and it was stupidly high YET AGAIN at 160/105, and I been on 100MG Toprol for awhile now, it seems like it does nothing! So the Dr Put me on a Water pill as well now to try to help it, I seriously doubt it will help at all if the Beta Blocker don't, Im 38 so I think thats probably why I havent had a heart attack yet, if I don't fix this soon I eventually will

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark, what tests has your GP carried out, you are young to be suffering with high BP but its not unheard of, have you had blood, 24 hour monitor, ECG etc.

• Posted

Do you have white coat fever.

Does the Dr make you feel uncomfortable, if so that could affect your blood pressure readings and you could be getting some really seriously wrong readings, if this is the case you need to consider getting someone other than the Dr to do your readings.

I know here locally in Australia, the local chemist is happy to use one of the demonstation blood pressure monitors to show you what you blood is, and they will write it down for you on a card, I had one Dr I didn;t like very much and I always got very high readings with him, when his nurse did the readings really different.

• Posted

mark85393...As lyn1951 said, it's possible you may have "White Coat".This is a very common thing. I had it a few years ago..absolutely disliked the Dr I had..he was a cocky young know-it-all. The nurse never took my bp properly..the cuff was either too tight, or not tight enough, readings taken from my right arm...& my feet dangling over the edge of the exam table, & talking to me as well. This is NOT how it's done!! I also was nervous on the way to see him, the same with waiting my turn..so the result was HIGH readings. I left his practise & went back to my former Dr...all is well.

Don't discount the diuretic. You haven't given it a chance. It could be the key to reducing those readings. I wouldn't go so far as to say the beta blocker isn't working..it just may need a little help...the diuretic. 

At 38 you're young to have this problem, but again as lyn said..there COULD be something else going on in your body. There is no cure for high bp..just control.

Please let us know how you get on with this.

• Posted

My Readings have always been my left arm where my pulse is, thats the way its always been taken and my dr is not young, hes probably at least 50's, my Parents have High BP as well which is why I probably got it, I just cant permenently lower it

• Posted

Also As I mentioned in another post I have BAD insomnia, it started when I was 35 so 2 and half years now, My Sleeps are none or very poor, Im kinda surprised Im still around yet, These past 6 months have been the worst though for sleep, Im on Pamelor too for Anxitey
    • Posted

May I ask what Pamelor is I am looking for an anxiety medicine other than benzos and does it work good all I can say again about your BP is to keep trying with different types of BP medicine maybe the beta blocker isn't the right one there are many others that would probably work way better ask your doctor about it

• Posted

Hi Diana, Pamelor is actually an antidepressant (nortriptyline) of the older, tricyclic group. I think these are preferable to the modern SSRIs etc. as they don't have as many side-effects and withdrawal tends to be easier, even if they're probably not as effective as the SSRI group. These days some practitioners will prescribe antidepressants for anxiety-related conditions, mainly to avoid giving benzos I suppose. They suit some people very well, but you'd need to remember that all antidepressants, of whichever group, can cause feelings of anxiety as a side-effect in susceptible patients.

• Posted

Good reply as I had forgotten they can cause anxiety but now that you brought it back up I have finally found something that I can possibly use for my anxiety that won't affect my blood pressure I think it is Vistaril which I took a long time ago it is not a benzo and will not interfere with my BP it might be Atarax I'm not sure one of the two the one that is a antihistamine action I could be wrong but I think I looked it up

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I agree totally with the other posters. It sounds like a touch of white coat syndrome. Have you tried taking your BP every day, and keeping a note of it? Most experts suggest taking it three times, at intervals of a few minutes, and averaging the three readings to get the day's correct reading. If your BP is always in the region of 130/86 that's not too serious. You should take the chart with you next time you see your doctor.

He might then decide to put you on 24-hour monitoring. This is where you wear a device (loaned to you by the doctor or hospital) that records your BP at intervals throughout a normal day, to give a better indication of what's going on. If you're getting normal readings at home, the doctor shouldn't be putting you on more medication.

• Posted

Your blood pressure is NOT stupidly high.. sounds like white coat hypertension.. the only thing stupid about the situation is that you permitted the doctor to put you on yet an additional medication...if you think "water pills" are harmless please do some research about them...

• Posted

Didnt say they wee harmless I just said they probably wont help if the beta blocker didnt, and my Parents have a history of High BP so I think thats why I have it now, 38 Is not too low of an age as I heard it Can start in late 20's or more common mid 30's

• Posted

i agree with the other posters, one reading in surgery is useless,  3 readings taken properly, as lily66568 described, is the first step, with a nurse who has more time, so you can have the full 5 mins between readings.  Then if these are raised, you need a 24 hour monitor, but you could try the 3 x tests properly at home first.  Put your home monitor on, and relax, and listen to your favorite relaxing music and then start the monitor button,  then, if the readings are still high, ask for a 24 hr monitor, mine was not too bad on the 24 test.
    • Posted

I do it at home and I dont have white coat hypertension because my readings at home varyits not just at a dr office where its high, I take it here and its been justas high, sometimes its lower, it bounches
  • Posted

Hi Mark

I'm taking it you have your own BP monitor, just make sure its calibrated at least once a year. Doctors will tell you every 6 months, but that's because they use theirs everyday on lots of different people. BP does rise considerably in a doctors surgery and hospital, I remember going in to hospital once because I felt unwell while driving, I managed to make it home and I was taken to hospital for chest pain, & tachycardia. My BP was 160/105 when it was time to leave the hospital, my BP was 180/110, they let me out with this reading, but it just proves that it rises in these environments. I've heard black garlic is good for reducing BP, also if you increase your potassium/magnesium levels. 😁

• Posted

mark85393....Gillian 68 has mentioned about potassium & magnesium levels.

Be very very careful about this, particulary potassium. This is a very important

chemical in the body. Too much can cause heart palpitations, etc. It can also lead

to death. Too little potassium can do the same, so you see it's important to have a happy medium level when it comes to potassium. Nobody should just arbitrarily take potassium. The levels are determined by bloodwork. While potassium can be bought OTC here in Canada, there are a few different degrees of potassium. The best person to get the right one for you would be your doctor. Mine prescribes potassium chloride every few months or so..but gives me a requisition for a bloodtest every so often as well just to make sure the levels are as they should be. 

In the meantime try your very best not to stress about your readings. It will cause the rise. 

• Posted

Good point Mike. I'd just seen that same post and was about to say the same thing as you. Mg supplements are fine, as long as you stick to the recommended dose. I find this quite effective in controlling my BP. The only possible side-effect is diarrhoea. However, you're right - no one should take potassium supplements unless they're prescribed by a doctor. I don't think it's even available OTC this side of the Atlantic, though I must admit I haven't looked, as I'd never take it as an unprescribed supplement.

If Mark wants to ensure his potassium levels are kept up - which sounds like a good idea to me - he'd do better getting it via natural sources. That way you can't OD, as the body will only take what it needs. Good sources are bananas, spinach, avocado, sweet potato and pomegranate (especially if you crunch up the seeds). The V 8 brand of vegetable juice is also a fairly good source. I drink a glass before dinner every evening, and have done for years.

• Posted

Hi Mike

In reference to what Mark was saying about his BP, when I referred to increasing his magnesium/potassium levels, I meant as in foods containing these minerals not supplements. He would only go down that root if a blood test confirmed he was low in either of these. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to take these supplements without them knowing if they neede to take them.

• Posted

As I said to Mike, when I said Mark could increase his potassium and magnesium levels, I meant from foods high in these minerals, not from supplements. Please don't assume when someone mentions a mineral they mean supplement form.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.