BP medications give me bad side effects - which one next?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all

I am 32, male, in good shape etc. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure earlier this year and have been put on several medications. They have all lowered my BP but I've had bad side effects with them all, to the point I'm worried non will work.

-Ramipril - was on it for about 3-4 months and it gave me a horrible cough that went on every day and painfully sore throat.

-Losartan - took it for a week and got chest pains (maybe just heartburn though)

-Amlodipine - was on it for 4-5 months. Started having episodes of reflux and continuous belching/burping which I hadn't thought was caused by the drug. Really impacted my quality of life, sleepless nights etc. Came off it and the symptoms alleviated.

-Candesartan - took for 1-2 weeks and the reflux symptoms have come back with avengance. Have stopped taking it to see if these side effects will go soon.

I'm at a loss with what to do next as I'm worried that all the drugs will give me side effects. Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and can offer some advice?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I started out on a diuretic for my bp years ago but it wasn't sufficiently reducing my bp lately so I changed to ramipril and then losartan, all within the past two months or so. The side effects were horrible, as you mentioned, I've now gone back to a diuretic, one day ago. I am getting giddiness on standing, I'm hoping this will go once the losartan leaves my system. I wish I had stayed on the diuretic because I had no symptoms on that.

• Posted

Thanks Jan. I'm just a bit worried because the drugs ending in -sartan and -pril are supposed to be the safest medications. It makes me really nervous about trying anything else as I'm worried what these drugs might do to my body next.

Has anyone had any success with the blood pressure supplement type stuff you can get at Holland & Barrett and by just making lifestye changes?

• Posted

I've recently been put on Amlodipine and increased my Doxazocin. Side effects are unbearable. Palpitations, flushing, anxiety through the roof. I hope there's some light at the end of the tunnel or I'll go mad! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.