BP Meds

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi was recently diagnosed with high bp and put on meds for the first time and was told to monitor for a couple weeks. How do I know exactly if the med is for me? After taking the meds I've been having a bit jumpy readings sometimes it's around the lower 110's/70's while sometimes it's over 130s/90s and often it's normal. Is everyone's bp meds consistent in keeping you guys in the 120/80s interval or does it jump for you guys as well? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Will not recommend to take BP meds of your BP reading are in 140s/90s. 

Try diet and exercise first.

• Posted

Hi, my numbers jump around as well. It can depend on the time of day, what I've eaten as well as exercise, emotional/stress factors and even what I have drank. Your numbers seem very low. Were they higher before the meds?

• Posted

Hi,

It shot up to around 170/120's for a week, so started taking meds n it dropped around to 140/90's. I might try to fix up my diet and exercise more often and hopefully I don't have to take them long term.

• Posted

Agree, Diet and exercise will definitely help. 
  • Posted

Branden12..bp readings can & usually do vary throughout the day. The "golden" reading of 120/80 isn't considered golden anymore.It depends on age & other factors. 

Do not take your bp readings within 30 min of eating, drinking coffee/tea, bathing/showering or exercising. Also do not take readings if you are not well or are in pain. Also don't take readings if you are upset or stressed.  Take 3-4 readings, then average them..that's your reading unless you have a monitor that takes 3 readings consecutively each 60 seconds apart then gives you the average. 

• Posted

Also, try to take readings around the same time of the day (I usually do it when I come home after work, before I start the "dinner shuffle"wink and sit quietly for 10 min first, relaxing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.