BP peaked at 170/100 at vaccination site. I feel the end of the world

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm on the verge of breaking down right now. I'm a 30M fit Asian guy who stands at 5'10 and weigh about 160 pounds.

For more than 10 years, I've battled on and off health anxiety. I also what you call whitecoat hypertension which is getting high BP readings when taking your BP. Basically, I fear of getting high numbers and end up getting them! But on hindsight, I do think I also have BP issues because it runs in the family and my anxiety simply worsens it.

Here in our country, the vax procedure requires you to have a stable BP. So they take your vitals before injecting you. I've dreaded this day for months ever since I found out they take your BP.

The nurse took my temperature and oxygen levels (which were fine) but my pulse rate (they used the device on the finger) and registered at 122!

I was very uncomfortable especially during the wait as I see people getting deferred because of high BP ahead of me. I felt pressured to give a stable BP. And lo and behold my first reading was 170/100!

I tried to look calm but deep inside I just wanted to die of the embarassment. The nurse said I was very nervous and set me aside to "calm myself down" and after 15 mins, my BP was 160/100 (I was still feeling anxious and uneasy).

Nurse referred me to the doctor whom I told about my anxiety and told me to calm down. He said I looked and talked very nervous and gave me this anti-hypertensive med which you put under the tongue. After 10 mins, they took my BP and said it was 140/90 and was already good for vax. I know it's still high but the moment they said I'm ok to be injected, I immediately felt a wave of calmness and relief.

Anyway, as someone who suffers from health anxiety, I can't help but obsess over these numbers. I cannot bring myself to even measure my BP at home because I will drive myself nuts as I will obsess over the results. I want to but I don't know where to start.

I'm going to a cardiologist next Monday to help me with this and maybe it is about time to finally confront my issue so I can be given proper meds.

Can someone please extend me some success stories or any good stuff while I wait for my appointment? I feel like I will die of heart failure anytime 😦

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You will be fine. I too get high bp when I am at the doctors.

When I am at home I tale my bp 2x a day. It is important to sit quietly for atleast 5 minutes with feet flat on the floor.

I am on a med that really controls mine, unless I am anxious.

That way when you go to the doctors, you can take your readings from home and show that all is good. Just white coat when you are at your appointment.

A 24 hours bp monitor from your doctor might be a good idea. That way they can see what you are like at home

I do understand how you feel about having a home monitor. I used to be crazy taking mine 20x a day, until |I realized how stupid that was, so I stopped fixating on it.

If it makes you feel any better, one time I went for an attempted ablation for my tachycardia, They inserted an arterial line to monitor my internal bp. It went up to 250/110...Now that was scary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.