BP problems and still feeling terrible

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can you tell me what is going on? 11 days ago my BP was 106/68 and now it's 150/101 I am normally with BP meds 122/76. So concern and still feeling terrible I visited ER last night. 4 hours later and DR found nothing wrong and for me to monitor BP. BP in ER never fell below 144/88

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I can't tell you why, but I do know that I always have my worst BP problems right around this time of year, shortest days and coldest weather.

144/88 is not terrible, even 150/101 does not get the doctors excited over just a day or three.

In case you were eating a lot of different things due to the holidays, try to cut back your diet to something more normal, sometimes that can help.

• Posted

Thank you. i don't feel like I've gone off of my eating habits too much. I understand that even a little will cause my body too act differently. I will see if its better in a few days. thanks again

• Posted

mark52722....jx41870 has given you a piece of good advice. The holiday season has just finished. Perhaps you've been eating things that are not normally a part of your diet....remember, we have different foods, high in sodium, & THAT certain can & does boost the bp numbers.

144/88 certainly is not terrible, nor is 150/101 for the short term. BP numbers fluctuate so much through the day, it's unbelievable. You can be at 122/75, then 15 min later, the numbers will be higher. It depends on what you're doing, what you're thinking, etc. If you're ill or in pain, the numbers elevate too.

You also said that with the bp meds., your reading is usually 122/76. Have you been taking your meds??? In the ER your bp never fell below 144/88...remember the surroundings, & WHY you were there. You could very well have had a good case of 'white coat syndrome'. Quite frankly, I wouldn't go getting all bent out of shape about things..at least not yet. Watch your diet, get some exercise, & good night's sleep. Don't become paranoid at taking bp readings either. If you feel anxious when you apply the cuff, your numbers will be high.

Good luck..let us know how you get on with it all.

• Posted

thank you for your input. I will see how I feel in a few days. thanks again

• Posted

Blood pressure does tend to fluctuate throughout the day. I notice that mine goes up when drinking coffee or if I am in a stressful situation. If your BP is usually controlled by your blood pressure meds, then look at other factors that may have caused the spike - as others have said, what did you eat and drink over the festive period, were there family stresses or other negative factors in your life at the time? Certainly the 150/101 figure is high, and if you continue to get these readings, then make an appointment with your care provider to see what's going on and they will review your medication.

Take care.

• Posted

thanks. I did check my BP Wednesday and it was 128/84. still high for me normally but it is getting better.

• Posted

mark52722...I can assure you, 128/84 is NOT high. The "84" could come down a little, but just the same 128/84 is not bad at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.