BP readings fluctuate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

My bp readings last two days were like:

day1 morning: 148/96, 143/92, 135/90, 134/88. evening:   129/90, 127/88, 123/86.

day2  evening: 143/113, 141/117, 140/92, 137/91 after two mins:              129/90,128/88,124/83,126/87

i am very much curious while sitting to check bp becz i am having vestibular neuritis and i am on medication spinfree.

All other reports like usg scan , creatinine, calcium tsh, sugar are normal.

Why the bp readings are so fluctuating? what do you think?

which reading i have to take as real?

I am taking telma 20 once daily. do i need to increase medicine?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If those are all good resting readings, then some of them are still a bit high and yes, you might want to talk to the doctor about medication.

Telma seems to be an ARB, and usually you can't just increase the dosage - nothing happens if you do.  The treatment is to add other BP drugs from another class.  This is very common in the US, apparently less so in the UK.

• Posted

Hi Raju,

BP tends to vary throughout the day dependng on a whole bucketload of factors. I have been advised to sit in a quiet room for 10 minutes before checking BP to give yourself the best shot of eliminating any outside influencers or stresses.

Your doctor is the best person to advise you about increases to your medication.

• Posted

raju18121984...First of all, I think your bp reading are fine. There are many many factors which can elevate bp, & your Dr. will tellyou this. Yes, the numbers were elevated day 2 evening, but 2 min later they were down. How far apart are you taking the readings???  Remember, to AVERAGE those readings., i.e. your average for day 1 morning is 140/91, in the evening it was 126/88, then we go to day 2 evening...your average is 140/103 & your average in the evening was 126/92. There are some readings were  your diastolic (bottom) number is a little high, especially day 1 in the morning...but it seems to level out in the evenings.

Do not take it upon yourself to increase or decrease medications without first consulting your doctor. 

• Posted

Thanks for the response.

Day2 reading started then first three taken. The relaxed for 2 mins and then all remaining taken. For sure first reading always high for me. But above 110 is what bothers me. Could it be brcz of other medicine I am taking for last four days for vertigo like spinfree , Baga and feliz? I again started walking and healthy diet. My worry is before I see a doctor if these cause a stroke or attack

• Posted

Last three readings are after a 3min gap of 2nd set
    • Posted

raju18121984...above 110 is too high..but I'd make an appt to see the Dr. if I were you...even just for peace of mind. He/she IS afterall, the medical professional.

• Posted

hi mike,

after three days i checked my bp again yesterday evening.I was very anxious and i could hear my heart beat. first reading was 141/101 with pulse 115. then i was a bit relieved as it was not above or 110. then after a min second reading came as 136/86. then onwards readings are like 130/90, 128/88, 126/91 , 132/84.

Relaxed and after 10 mins started another set. then readings were like 124/84, 119/85, 121/87, 126/86.

I dont know how to control my anxiety. this happens to me at every place be it BP checking or any result or any awating mail or anything.

• Posted

I would see a doc...the diastolic is too high.
    • Posted

hi ,

after three days i checked my bp again yesterday evening.I was very anxious and i could hear my heart beat. first reading was 141/101 with pulse 115. then i was a bit relieved as it was not above or 110. then after a min second reading came as 136/86. then onwards readings are like 130/90, 128/88, 126/91 , 132/84.

Relaxed and after 10 mins started another set. then readings were like 124/84, 119/85, 121/87, 126/86.

I dont know how to control my anxiety. this happens to me at every place be it BP checking or any result or any awating mail or anything.

• Posted

raju18121984...you're becoming obsessed with taking your bp readings. Some are high, yes but they fall as well.

BP doesn't stay at the same number all the time. As you have experienced it fluctuates from minute to minute.

If you're concerned...see your doctor. We folks here on the forum are not doctors, but just here to help one another.

• Posted

I agree Mike. My problem is if I go to doctor then automatically my reading will go high due to stress and fear of checking BP. Then he may say it's too high and too danger bla bla. That is why I am posting it in this forum to just release some stress in this form.

• Posted

raju18121984...The Doctor should realize by now that your readings are elevated when you see him/her. Have you explained that you're stressed & have fear of checking bp while at the office? THAT will explain things & doctors are very well aware of White Coat Syndrome. It's quite common. 

Truly, I think you need to relax about taking your bp readings so often. 

Do NOT take bp readings when feeling stressed. That serves no purpose but to elevate the numbers. This will take practice. I went through the same thing about 1 1/2 yrs ago 'til I realised that I was allowing something so small to intimidate me. I'd start to feel a little anxious just seeing the bp machine. Finally I overcame the anxiety of taking readings. After all, there wasn't a 10-headed monster hiding in the machine about to jump out & devour me!!!!!! 

Try to train yourself...but by all means see your Dr. & mention what I have mentioned to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.