BP Target level range

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all , quick question , i am currently on Tildiem LA300 and a 25mg Losartan. Home readings at rest are generally just under 140 by just over 80. I am a 55 year old male , non smoker , non drinker , over weight and a family history of heart attacks (father passed 54 ). Should i be ideally targeting nearer the "ideal" level of 120/80 ? . Thinking behind is if i am on bp medication ideally i should be nearer that level.I know "acceptable"averages change as such through age range.

Thank you in advance.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scotland, I am a 75 yr old female and my dr says the BP should be below 135/85. For 5 years now I have taken 50mg Losartan and I take my BP twice a day. It currently averages below 120/80, more like 115/78 over a week.

So given you are on medication I would think your systolic BP at 140 is a little on the high side but the diastolic is fine.

I asked my GP whether I could lower the meds and accept the potential rise in BP as I am older but she said no, 120/80 is the gold standard to aim for, for all age groups.

• Posted

Dear Scotland,

You said you are overweight.

​What is your weight, height, and are you Sedentary,  Moderately Active or Very Active.

Regards, Ernie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.