BPH and alternative treatment

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 44, fit, active, normal weight etc and been diagnosed with BPH.

Ive had tablets for prostititis, the cystoscopy (with a 'bonus' UTI given to me) and prescribed two different tablets (beta blockers).  First set (Tamurex) made my blood pressure so low that I could hardly walk, second type (Terazosin) have had the effect of really hard erections overnight, but that results in embarrasing leakage!  

I have stopped taking both because of these side effects.  

So I am thinking about trying a herbal remedy Urostemol - anyone used it?  Or heard anything good or bad about it?

Cheers guys!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Pablo,

I've tried most herbal remedies nd none have helped me.

Even if Urostemol is effective as intended, it doesn't seem to help you pee more easilt, which is what most men w/ BPH on this site need; rather, it appears to be designed to keep you from going.  For BPH you may want to try alfuzosin or rapaflo.,

Best of luck!

• Posted

beware the side effects of all these medications.  While some men can tolerate them; many find one or more side effects intolerable.  Know them before you start and monitor how you react.  

• Posted

You are quite young for this.

Has your urologist sized your prostate with ultrasound or had you have a uroflow or urocuff test?

Another possible medication to try would be alfuzosin, which is a generic medication.

The problem with all of these herbal medications is that they are not FDA approved, and have no research to study them- most likely do little to nothing for your health, but can greatly impact your wallet!

• Posted

yeah...the doc and consultant say it's unusual for one so young (!).

I had an ultrasound last week and awaiting results/outcome...things happen slow in the UK.  

Not had a urocuff test, so I will investigate that along with the suggested medication, but it might not be available here!

Thanks for the suggestions :-)

• Posted

My urologist has recommended an herbal saw palmetto for overall prostate health. I have been taking it for about 10 years (now 68).  Consumers Report does not give it much credence.  My PSA numbers have been in the 1-2 range.  It costs me a $200/year. Is it worth it?  Not sure. 

I had a BPH procedure 10 years ago (need ablation called "TUNA"wink.  As my BPH returned 2-3 times a night bathroom trips, the urologist tried an Alpha blocker (tamsulosin generic for Flomax).  I reacted badly to it.  Really hurt my overall endurance.  I had another procedure a few months ago that seemed to work ok (Urolift).  But, there is no long term data on it yet.  So I don't know when or if I will eventually need a follow up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.