bph and night time

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 64 and have BPH. I take both myrbetriq and toviaz. All by discomfort comes mainly at night when I wake up frequently to urinate and also feel like I don't fully empty my bladder. I try not to drink anything past 6:00 at night. Can anyone explain why symptons are so much worse at night or offer help into how I can improve the night time hours?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Peter;  I have the same exact problems.  Lets hope somebody out there can help both of us out.   I like you don't drink anything after 6pm except right at bedtime I do drink about 3oz of "real tart cherry juice" which is a "natural sedative" and it helps me sleep for the first 2 1/2 to 3 hours before the first bathroom visit.  I get up on "average" between 3 and 4 times a night.  Lets keep in touch.
  • Posted

Hi Peter I had the same symptoms nearly 2 years ago (I was 62) and was on Tamsulosin and Finisteride for 18 months and eventually had the standard TURP operation. It did not go to plan and had problems after the operation and was with a catheter for 1 month. Now 6 months after the operation there is a slight difference instead of going 3-4 times at night it is 1-2 times.The main issue is with my sex life it has caused me severe problems. The pills and the operation has caused Retrograde ejaculation,very little semen production and eractile desfuntion/impotence. I am drinking less caffeine and very little alcohol and go to the Gym twice a week and no pills. Suggest you try keep fit, drink less caffeine and alcohol and eat good food. If that does not work see your GP and discuss TURP but mention the Lazer technique and the new TURPi (uses elecric current) and discuss the side effects. All the very best Peter
  • Posted

Same here.  I'm 69 and I wake up frequently to urinate, every two hours.  That is until I found rye bread a month or more age, it's a God send as I get 5 hours a stretch now.  I've posted elsewhere in this site and in next few days hope the full recipe is available but if you like to experiment meanwhile it is whole grain dark rye flour 100% stone ground with yeat and water added.  The bread maker - home made, didn't find it easy to make it rise using recipes online so adding raisins helps.  I eat equivalent of 165 grams of the dry flour about 3 hours before sleeping and nothing else before sleeping then sleep very well for 5 hours.  I just hope it continues.  If you find a good way to make the bread rise without adding other flours please let me know too - some say try sourdough.  There is rye pollen offered to help BPH sufferers that I've not tried.  I take zinc sometimes otherwise no medicines so far. The bread is delicious, what a bonus! Good luck.
    • Posted

Are you serious?????   I have heard of all the supplements and homemade remedys but I have never ever heard anyone say "eat rye bread" to help your prostate and night time frequency problems.  Thats why I said "are you serious" or just joking around?????
    • Posted

I wonder what the BPH stats are in countries where Rye bread is the norm.
    • Posted

Quite serious, what I wrote is my experience.  I'd not heard about whole Rye as a cure but after stumbling accross it is searched and it seems rye pollen is considered to help - i've not tried it. 

There is some research it seems on Rye bread as details here

http://www.rsu.lv/eng/about-rsu/news-and-events/university-news/709-research-on-the-influence-of-rye-bread-on-prostate-cancer-progression

When checking stats. on line it seems that Denmark for instance experiences similar bph stats as other countries. 

In my case the backgrounud is an Asian diet (vs western diet), regular exercise of various types and plenty of sunshine (vitamin D).  Maybe the rye, the quanitiy eaten and timing just adds the final touch to the equation.  However it works I do feel very good

Hopefully by the end of the week the baker will publish the recipe, they are just checking the temperatures to again make sure what they publish will be accurate.  Once I've seen it I'll post in here

• Posted

Hi Moi;  Iam not a Doctor but have you ever checked with your Doctor about all the rye bread at bedtime.  My wife is a nurse and she was saying you are really loading up on the carbs which will probably spike your blood sugar.  Especially a half of loaf right at bedtime.  Just curious if you have ever ran it by your Doctor.   Good Luck to You.  Take Care.
    • Posted

I only play a doctor on TV but I agree with your wife. j/k High carb intake is related to "diseases of civilziation", e.g., diabetes, obesity.  Rye grass flower pollen extract would seem to be safer.  
    • Posted

No! I've not checked with my doctor.  I've frequently loaded up on carbs such as whole wheat bread before sleep for years and my sugar levels, weight etc are good.  I'm lucky at 70.  Rye just made me sleep so much better and if you suffered sleep depravation you'll understand.  Thanks for the heads up; will try to reduce the amount and see what happens.  Will watch the weight closely and check the sugar levels too, thank you.  I agree with you it is best to check with the doctor first.  I will now.  100% whole grain Rye has plenty of complex carbohydrates, that is starch, sugar and fiber, a carb. composition quite different to wheat bread refined or not.  Significantly the high carb. fiber content in Rye is high in noncellulose polysaccharides with exceptionally high water binding capacity.  Perhaps this is part of the reason it helps the symptoms.  The high fiber apparently as still attached to the naturally occuring sugars makes digestion more effective, safer.  Aarhus University website says there are studies showing that a diet in wholegrain rye bread can keep prostate cancer at bay.   My knowledge and experience with this is simply as a patient so any input is welcome.  I find Rye bread continues to help, last night 3 hours straight followed by 4 hours.
  • Posted

I'm a bit younger at 52, have BPH and OAB, and was getting up 3-6 times per night and going up to 20 times over 24 hrs.   I have been taking Prostasan (Saw Palmetto) as a BPH herbal remedy for 14 months and Tolterodine for 4.5 months.  I am now down to once per night and 6-8 times over 24 hours.  I find taking exercise really helps too.
  • Posted

Have you tried the alternatives like saw palmetto.  How about walking before sleeping, i found it helps.  You can try raising your bed head end by 2-4 inches - i found that it helps a little but worth the effort.  Zinc supplements maybe but don't exceed dose.  Apart from those I'm finding rye bread is working wonders for me now as written about elsewhere on this site

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.