BPH and Very Frequent Urination Question

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have people on here say, drank a 12 ounce cup of water in say, 15 minutes, then less than 15 minutes later, you feel the urge to urinate -- you then go, seem to empty bladder, then a few minutes later, it's back to feeling strong urge to urinate. I have this only when I drink water. Perhaps my understanding of this is not very good, but how exactly does BPH cause this in relation to bladder function? 'Normal' people can drink same 12 oz cup of water in same time period, and not have to pee for hours.

My BPH got MUCH WORSE following just way too much pre workout caffeinated drinks, over straining to end voids, prostate massage, and other 'things.' Before, I could live with it, now it appears I will need some sort of surgical intervention. I used to not have much care of what I drank when dining out, but now I no longer touch caffeine, and have become rather scared of drinking much of anything when out. Man, I'm 51 years old, used to workout a ton, and now can barely do the things I loved before. BPH sucks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you been diagnosed with BPH (Prostate obstruction)? Maybe you have an overactive bladder.

• Posted

From My Current Uro - "Limited Pelvic Ultrasound The ultrasound findings of the bladder include the following: There is no evidence of any lesions, calculi, median lobe, diverticulum or ureteroceles within the bladder. The bladder wall was measured to be 6mm in thickness. The post

void residual urine volume is 58cc.

Cystoscopy-Diagnostic The following findings are noted: The anterior urethra is normal. There is no evidence of any pathology relating to the prostate or bladder neck. The prostatic urethra showed evidence of bilobar hyperplasia of the prostate. The abnormal findings in the bladder are as follows: The bladder is mildly trabeculated. 2 cm LLO"

IMPRESSION:

DIAGNOSIS ASSESSMENT

1. Benign prostatic hyperplasia with

weak urinary stream...

Recommend alfuzosin with ditropan 5 mg BID. F/u in January with a PVR and to

discuss Rezum again.

(My note - used a couple of doses of Ditropan and landed in ER because I did not urinate for over 10 hours although I drank about a litre of fluids I thought perhaps this was an AUR issue although I had no pain. Turns out ER PVR ultrasound showed 47 CC retention, which is pretty normal. Decided NOT use Ditropan since then, but may bring it back into regimen. Switched from Rapaflo (expensive) to alfuzosin. alfuzosin seems to work a bit better to me. Have added daily regiment of CBD oil which has helped.)

I discussed all of the most common risks, benefits, goals

and alternatives to the proposed treatment and all questions have been

answered.

1. Urinary frequency Will manage as above.
  • Posted

Have you been diagnosed with BPH (Prostate obstruction)? Maybe you have an overactive bladder.

• Posted

• Posted

You need to find out exactly what the problem is so some clear options can be considered. I wish I had had some intervention when I was your age, although in truth the option I eventually went for wasn't available then. If it had been then there would have been a much better chance of keeping my bladder healthy. PAE was what I opted for and it is buying me some time, 3 years so far. Not perfect because my bladder has lost a little function but is very easy to live compared to your circumstances. Ask on here for a good urologist near where you live.

• Posted

Ok, Las Vegas area, Nevada - anyone out there with opinions on who are the top Uros here?

• Posted

There are many things that can cause the symptoms you describe, BPH is but one of them and the place where many urologists start by giving you alpha blockers (eg Flowmax). If/when those do not help they may then try other prescriptions before they finally decide to do a cystoscopy. Until you know the cause(s), any treatment you have is a bit of a crap shoot. Some of the tests I've had are ultrasound, cystoscopy, urine flow and 3T MRI. Alpha blockers did nothing for me and I cycled through 3 of them over a few years until through frustration took control of my own health and had the tests performed and then found a doctor that would actually take the time to examine the results.

Without proper diagnosis the correct treatment can be delayed only further exacerbating the issue and frustrating you. My recommendation is to take the time to find a doctor that will spend the time to properly diagnosis YOUR issue vs just starting with Plan A, the moving to B, C - etc. If your current doctor isn't willing to do this, find another and then another... I have currently seen 7 different urologists and 3 interventional radiologists over a period of many years before I got relief.

Don't take no for an answer. Good luck.

• Posted

Which tests and what procedure did you finally opt for?

• Posted

Knowing what I do know - and again, these are what helped me and my condition:

The cystoscopy confirmed there were no obstructions in the urethra and only minor narrowing. Bladder showed signs of trabeculation which could have been part of the problem.

3T mp-MRI gave an accurate measurement of the prostate and showed it was average size (26cc) and it also showed an abnormality in the sagittal view that was not BPH but best described as a 'bump in the road' next to the urethra that could have been part of the issue. But - none of these tests showed traditional signs of BPH nodules (which once you see them on an MRI even a lay person can identify/see the difference). While I had some evidence of minor BPH, it was not enough to explain the problems I was experiencing. Those tests reviewed by skilled and knowledgeable professionals should give most men a good picture of what may be happening. (MRI can also help identify some (but not all) prostate cancer)

[the ultrasound and flow tests provided nothing for me]

If you have the cystoscopy, I recommend using your cellphone and record the video. I've had this done twice, two different uros and while they took individual images during the procedures, their equipment did not record video but both allowed me to record it. Why - so I could review it later and along with the images (get a copy on a USB/CD) to provide to others for review and comparison. I get copies of all of my tests and DVDs of all MRIs. It makes it much easier and quicker to then have it reviewed by others. [This test isn't painful - don't let others stories, dissuade you from having this done. It is just a little uncomfortable and lasts but a few minutes]

The MRIs also showed signs of prostatitis, but no tests (including an expensive genomic test of my semen) showed signs of bacterial infection. Resolving this remains a challenge.

I also had a single visible lesion of low volume 3+4 and 3+3 prostate cancer (PCa) that I had been monitoring with active surveillance for prior 5 years. This was identified during one of these MRIs. In Dec 2017, I had the PCa treated via FLA and at the same time had the area around the urethra (where the oddity was seen) ablated as well. The lesion was no where near the urethra and did not appear to be contributing to the urinary issues.

In the end, it appears there were at least 3 different things affecting my urinary flow. The trabeculation of the bladder, the oddity in the urethra and the prostatitis. It took me over 12 years to get some answers and a lot of frustration, time and money. I'm better now than I was in the prior 10+ years and hoping for continued improvement over time. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.