BPH + bladder issues + sleep issues

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've been suffering from bph symptoms for more than 10 years (noctura, frequency, weak stream, etc.), but since surgery was not an attractive option for me, I learned to live with them. Then late last summer I went through a period where I had a great deal of difficulty to initiate urination. I was worried enough I went to my GP and got a prescription for flomax and a referral to an urologist. My symptoms improved after visiting the GP. I concluded that riding my bicycle had caused my worsening symptoms, and initially, the flomax did seem to help, but only for a short time. I just visited my urologist and because my PSA was normal (2.7), my prostate was not huge (55 cc described as mildly enlarged), and because the flomax was not very effective, he concluded that bph was not the whole problem. He suggested a combination of bladder issues, sleep disorders, and some bph were causing my symptoms. He said surgery would not be very helpful. I'm writing this to advise readers to take a broader view of bph symptoms before they agree to surgery which may not help and may cause a lot of other problems. I was lucky to find a good urologist who looked at the big picture rather than just the symptoms (which are classic bph). He suggested bladder retraining and a sleep medication would be the best treatment option. There are some bad outcomes from prostate surgery so I caution anyone considering it to look at the big picture before agreeing to surgery. 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Reg, I'm beginning to thing the way you do, doctors dont really understand BPH and how to treat it.   If they did we wouldnt have hundreds of people afflicted with BPH speculating on this forum about what works and what doesnt.

I asked Dr. Bagla aboutt riding a bike causing bph flare ups.  He said 'Maybe'.

My bph has responded to anti-inflammatories but not PAE.  

• Posted

" ... doctors dont really understand BPH and how to treat it ... "  You're EXACTLY right, but they don't want YOU to know this.

• Posted

Thanks for your thoughts reg5251o. I was told by 3 different uros and my GP that my prostate was <50 cc. They all made that estimate based on DRE. After getting an expert to look at my CT scans it was determined my prostate is 120 cc. Quite a difference. 

• Posted

Sorry didn't mean to post the above information  twice. I sent the original  from my phone earlier but I didn't see it here. 

• Posted

Reg  I am very happy you had a doctor that did not want to rush you into surgery.  Most of the time urologist if they can't find the problem They assume it's the prostate and what to start cutting away  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Hello Reg, PAE is the answer to postrate problems.If you cut the blood flow off to postrate , the postrate will shrink and will let you empty your bladder...you will be problem free. The urologist don't want to suggest this or even will lie about it because it takes money out of there pockets. The PAE is done by a radiologist insted of a urorlogist. The doctor that invented it is Dr. Pisco in Lisbon Portugul.  I strongly suggest getting in touch with him and he will see if you are a canditate for the PAE. If you are GO DO IT . Best decision out of all the other procedures. 

• Posted

That's true if you have a large prostate; mine is not particularly large. PAE isn't for everyone as evidenced by some of the discussions on this site. Not e veryone is happy with the PAE they had  done. I've investigated all of the procedures available at this time and am satisfied that I'm doing the right thing, at least for the time being. That could change later, of course.

• Posted

Reg, I reserched this forum and you are correct PAE isn't for everyone thats why they need a few test done prior and Dr. Pisco will look at the test and tell you if you are a canidate or not . The men that tried PAE and didn"t work for them was not done by Dr. Pisco.  He will not lie . He will tell you the truth. 

• Posted

Hi David,

Thanks for giving the forum a heads up on Dr. Pisco, and it's great to hear you had such a good result!

You mention that Dr. Pisco needs a few tests to tell if you're a candidate or not.

This makes sense in that while of course an experienced and knowledgeable practioner like Dr. Pisco is important, perhaps equally important is proper screening to make sure that only the right candidates are operated on.

Could you therefore please detail as best you can what tests Dr. Pisco uses to screen his patients? 

For example, does he require a cystoscopy? Any specific imaging studies? Does he do urodynamic testing, including pressure studies, to make sure the bladder is functional and flexible enough to fully empty after the prostatic obstruction is reduced by PAE?  Does he have prostate size and/or median lobe limitations? Anything else?

?-- Jim

• Posted

You have a very, very good doctor!!!!
    • Posted

Thank you and yes, I know. I requested him specifically after going online and reading reviews on a number of urologists. He was always right at the top. It's always refreshing to visit a doctor  who applies common sense and critical thinking along with his or her professional training. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.