BPH problems NEW treatment

Posted , 15 users are following.

GENTLEMEN; my name is Phil and I live just outside of Denver CO. in Centennial. I am 68 years old and have been having BPH problems for about 3 years. I started to take Super Beta and tried several natural pills but found they had no results, just a bunch of advertising crap.  I went to my PCP doctor and he put me on Finasteride, then Avodart, and then Flomax. I took them over a 9 month period and found they caused all sorts of problems from dizziness, to E.D. and dry ejaculations. All of them are bad stuff, please stay away from them. My issues were getting worse. Having to get up at night 4 or 5 times, stopping and starting, weak stream, have to push or strain to start, etc.

I decided to go to a prostrate doctor and did much research on the internet and found one locally who was advertising the newest treatment being the “Green Light Laser” I was excited. I made an appointment with him. I had to do several tests with him including a Cystoscope (small camera down the urethra) which was not fu at all. I would ask your doctor for a local. He found no cancer and that my bladder was working fine. He found a very small amount of scar tissue which he removed with the scope. He said many people get these form when they have other operations and get a catheter during the operation and the doctors sometimes are not very easy and cause it. I have had several operations including a hernia just 1 year back. He indicated he wanted to wait for about 3 months to see if everything would heal up and them we could go for the Laser treatment.

After waiting 3 months and then going back in to see him he indicated that there was this new procedure out called “UROLIFT” and he felt it was much better and less invasive.   He also indicated to me that he had found that the Laser treatment was very underpowered and he many times had to finish up with using the button TURP method to get it done. He gave me all the information on it. I did some more research on it including this webpage. After seeing that there was some people reporting poor results in this “UROLIFT” procedure I decided to go see another proctologist to get a second opinion. Was I ever glad I did.

The new Doctor told me he had been part of the original studies done on the “UROLIFT” and found it very disappointing. That many of the patients saw very little or no improvement after having it.  The brochures show that you get 2 of the stainless steel implants but in all of his patients had at least 4 or more put in. He also said the tool they use to do the implants is had to use and if the Doctor is not very good there can be other problems with them not being placed in straight. He said that the other big problem is that the prostate continues to grow and at some point the implants may begin to cut into the gland and cause more problems. At this point if you want to have the “Green Light Laser” treatment done they have to go in and remove all the stainless steel implants which is not easy and takes up more healing time.  He also indicated he has done over 1,000 of the Laser treatment and had no power problem and it is the best way to go if you have to go that far. The main problem is about 30% of his patients have Dry Ejaculation after this procedure.

Then he tells me that there has been a breakthrough and it is the best thing out there so far. It is called “REZUM”. It is a water vapor therpy. It is a minimally invasive BPH treatment that delivers with just a few drops of water a targeted, controlled dose of stored thermal energy in a water vapor directly to the region of the prostate gland with the obstructive tissue. The procedure can be performed in a physician’s office and may minimize the procedural discomfort, post procedure complications and side effects associated with other BPH treatments.

It eliminates the Hyperplastic tissue from inside the prostate which then allows the urethra to open up normally again. It provides patients with significant improvement in BPH symtoms, including frequency, intermittence, urgency, weak stream, straining to urinate and nocturia while preserving erectile function and urinary continence.

I will be getting back with my new proctologist in the next few weeks to set up tests so I can proceed with this treatment and I will get back on this after going through with it. I guess there is about 6 or 7 places in the US that are now offering this treatment which is still going through more testing but he says he has done 50  or so and it is really looking like this will be the new  way to treat BPH. Here is a web page with more information. Have a great day. Phil

https://bphnews.com/2015/12/02/nxthera-publishes-1-year-results-of-rezum-ii-clinical-study-evaluating-the-efficacy-of-the-rezum-system-in-treating-bph-symptoms/

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Best of luck with whatever path you choose, but after doing a lot of research, and having the HoLEP done 4 months ago, I'm a very happy camper.  Had it done at Mayo in Phoenix by Dr. Humphreys whos done hundreds of these, and is probably among the top docs on this in the nation, to say nothing of Mayo being rated the #1 hospital in the nation by US News & World Report (check the stats on your hospital).  HoLEP reasons: 1) less bleeding/blood loss, 2) shorter time in hospital/on cath (less than 24 hrs), 3) they remove the tissue (not incinerate it) and test for cancer, and 4) much less chance of needing a repeat op.  Humphreys has also published several papers on this (see his bio on the Mayo website), and won't consider doing TURP anymore.  Spend the money; not all mine was covered by insurance, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat, especially after following this blog for several months.  There's a hotel right on the Mayo campus so you could stay a week and get preops, etc., all done.  I'm traveling in Europe right now, and it's great to not worry one bit about where the next bathroom is.
    • Posted

I have heard the cost is about $10,000 or more to go there and my insurance will not cover that so I will have to go another way, thanks
    • Posted

I am glad your doing good.  How are you dealing with the retro?  and was that a factor that you had it done.  Some men don't want to give it up..Take care and have a good time..Ken
    • Posted

I'm 68 and have all the family I want (3 sons, 7 grandkids), so retro no problem.  Acutally, had full retro under the drugs prior to the surgery, now only partial, but, machs nichts.
    • Posted

No problem has long as you can handle it.  Some men say it's no problem and when they get it they what it back.  Once the bladder neck is cut you will never have it again.  Take care my friend and have a good weekend  Ken
  • Posted

Hello Phil.  First let me tell you I feel the same way about dry orgasm and not giving up one for another.  That is why I had the Uro-lift.  I had it done a year ago and have no problem.  Had the surgery on Monday and by saturday was peeing great no pill or getting up at night.  Had 4 implants put in.  If there is a problem they can be taking out with no problem.  The outer schell of the prostate is very hard that is why they can do it.  If it was soft tissue would go through.  My doctor has done over 200 urolifts in the last 3 years when it was approved by the FDA. I have talk to about 10 guys that have had it done.  No problem.  I sent a few to see him.  To me it sounds like your doctor is pushing the green light which he has done alot.  Is that the one he does best Some dooctor will do that.   That has been around for many years and does the same as a Turp and the other that core out the prostate and distroy the bladder neck.  You get retro.  Your doctor said 30% it more like 95% A doctor will down play any side effect to sell the procedure.  I am glad that he offered You the other procedure. There as been a few men on here that have had it.  Try to get a hold of them and see if they had retro or not.  I know when we were looking into to it some said yes and some said no on retro.  It is up to you what procedure you have but be aware of the side effect and the down time.  PS  I would rather have somthing less invasive done first and see if it work before I have something done I will not be happy with.  When they start cutting away you never get that back.  Please look at everything  with a fine tooth comb  Take care and good luck  Ken
    • Posted

Thanks Ken, I'm still looking at everything and do not think I will do the laser unless Ihave tried something else and it does not work.
  • Posted

Phil, you should also check on PAE surgery. Lots of us here have used it for your symptoms, and it has very few side effects, if any, and gets awesome results, 90% success rate. Works really well for very large prostates.  take a look at some of the research links you will see posted.   I had mine a couple months ago, after I wasnt able to pee at all!  and it has fixed me right up..

Greg

• Posted

Thanks, I'm looking into PAE.
  • Posted

Phil, I had the Uro Lift installed 4/2016 and it was a great choice for me. I pee like I did when I was a kid (now 74) have normal ejaculations, etc. the skill of the Urologist in installing the device is paramount. I had no complications, and was peeing very normally within one week of the install. Before the UL it was determined I had a small 3rd lobe and that was pinned back as well. I am very pleased with my UL. I suspect the physician who read you the riot act against the UL had bad information or other motives. Before you totally reject UL do some more research.
    • Posted

Where did you have it done, and who was your doctor?

Thanks,

Neal

• Posted

Sounds like you have had a good experience with your surgery. I have heard from several sources that there is a 30% chance of retro  form the UL so that is why I am looking for more information form several people who have had it. Thanks again and have a blessed week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.