Bph symptoms for 3 years but could i really have prostrate cancer?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I got BPH symptoms for over three years. When they started my PSA was below normal. Since then I've had several DRE's from different doctors and nurses and they all save the prostate is a little large but normal and rule out prostate cancer. My question is do prostate cancer symptoms go on for years without little change? Similar to what I'm experiencing in BPH. No pain blood or anything unusual except the regular BPH retention.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Don't screw around. Get a PAE and your life will improve. I recommend Dr. Isaacson at UNC Chapel Hill. Has done hundreds if not thousands.

• Posted

A DRE is just one way of screening for prostate cancer. The doctor is checking for prostate irregularities that can be felt. In most cases a rising PSA can be a "red flag" and then a 12 core biopsy is done, or a 3T MRI. A rising PSA can just mean that the prostate is enlarging. In my case, my DREs were always OK, but my PSA went to 4 and I was sent to a urologist for a biopsy. It came back positive for low grade cancer. A second biopsy 18 months later showed "progression". I then had radiation for the cancer, now gone. My original point: you can't really know if you have prostate cancer or not from a DRE - it's just a first step.

Wishing you all the best, Tom

• Posted

Thanks Tom, I have had BPH symptoms for over three years. My GP and urologist say that if I have prostate cancer symptoms these typical BPH symptoms would have progressively changed. That is why they are ruling out prostate cancer. The last PSA I have what's when I was first getting the symptoms and it came completely normal.

• Posted

Given that you don't seem to clearly be symptomatic, I would recommend you have a free PSA and PCA-3 test in addition to the PSA test. Like the PSA test the "free PSA" test is a blood test. The PCA-3 test is a test of prostate fluid (the urologist has to push on your prostate to get the fluid to come out). Definitely get at least the free PSA test. There's another test called 4kscore, but I don't know anything about it (you might google it or perhaps somebody who reads these posts has had it done - I get the impression that insurance is reluctant to cover it; but maybe that has changed).

In the past my PSA has jumped to as high as 7.8 for a brief period. It was never clear why, but always seemed to go back down after a course of antibiotics (perhaps it was prostatitis). Now, in addition to PSA tests, I get a free PSA test at least twice a year. I also had one PCA-3 test about 18 months ago. The free PSA tests and PCA-3 test have always indicated the lowest probability for cancer. That was further confirmed by a 3T mp MRI test that I had done 3 months ago. I have never had a prostate biopsy.

• Posted

"My question is do prostate cancer symptoms go on for years without little change? Similar to what I'm experiencing in BPH"

yes they can, what's you current PSA?, DRE is not an absolute test, get 3TMRI if you are concern,

• Posted

I agree. I think today the 3T MRI is the gold standard for ruling out Prostate Cancer. If suspicious, then a guided biopsy would be indicated. Most urologists would rather do biopsies than order an MRI. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Heed the advice given you here

Do not rely on DRE only or absence of blood in urine or semen

A good friend thought rising PSA was due to kidney stones lodged in prostate

I urged him to have 3T mpMRI

PIRADS 5 MRI

Guided biopsy found Gleason 8 cancer

Get the PCA3 and 4KScore

Also if total PSA is between 4 and 10, check free PSA %free PSA should be 25% +

If tests are suspect request MRI

Yes, it is possible to have BPH present with cancer

Hoping for the best outcome for you,

Michael

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.