BPH Symtoms worsening

Posted , 9 users are following.

About 3 years ago I noticed that I started getting up to urinate during the night. Over time the frequency has increased and if I don't watch what I drink at nighttime I may have to get up 3 times. If I am careful with what I drink I have to get up at least once.

Also, during the day especially after morning coffee I have to hit the mens room every 45 minutes.

If I wait too long then it becomes uncomfortable to initiate urination.

As a side note, last year's PSA went up from 3 something to 11. Went to a urologist and did a dna test and a test on the semen and it came out that I was low risk for aggressive cancer. He did say my prostate was large for my age (53).

My father had similar issues all his life and at the age of 65 he had the laser procedure done and now he is fine.

Anyway, I started taking pygeum and beta sitosterol and they seem to help. What I don't know although I've searched the internet of course is the method by which they help. The frequency and urgency has calmed down. Even the flow seems more robust.

Thx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Rising PSA can either be prostate cancer or an enlarging or irritated prostate. If you can get a MRI that would be a start to find out what might be going on, if not, then the next procedure would be a 12 core biopsy. I had two of them, not fun, but I wasn't offered an MRI so had no choice. My PSA was in the 5-6 range at the time and I did have low grade prostate cancer, eventually treated and from what I know, now gone. I am sure you get an occasional DRE - that is another way (not particularly effective) for checking for any cancer. Hope all turns out well...

• Posted

Yeah, had a DRE and it was normal. Dr. Felt comfortable with the results from the DNA test. I also had a round of antibiotics which dropped the PSA back down to below 10. I am due to another visit shortly.

• Posted

worsening of BPH leads to bladder deterioration, get help and decide on some procedure with minimum side effects, 3TMRI is a good method to determine what's wrong, as far as possible cancer or what's causing your obstruction

• Posted

in my experience, its not about size of prostate, but more about symptoms and quality of life. I don't like medications, side effects, etc. I was not able to drive 1 hour to work without stopping for a pee break.

I am 54 years old , and a 70cc prostate , but my symptoms were severe with 3 complete retentions and 1 visit to the ER.

I had PAE procedure and now living a normal life.

• Posted

I did the pygeum , sterols etc. for a number of years and of course my BPH just slowly got worse and worse. The natural route will slow it down, but not stop it. I'm 57 this month and finally had the Rezum procedure about five weeks ago. I got tired of getting up several times a night - it was starting to cause problems with staying awake at work. My dad had a TURP at age 59 and it solved his problem until he was in early 70s when he had prostate cancer. At age 53, I would encourage you to look into the Rezum option before a TURP or laser type of TURP.

• Posted

Hi Eric,

I have several issues, but am considering Rezum after suffering for 7 yrs.

Now that 2 yrs has passed, how would you rate your symptoms now?

How is emptying and how many times do you awaken at night to pee?

Thanks.

Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.