BPH treatments.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Does any other disease apart from the common cold have so many treatments that give so many men little hope of a cure that is guaranteed ? No wonder this Forum cannot point anyone in the right direction and just confuses them.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Does any other disease apart from the common cold have so many treatments that give so many men little hope of a cure that is guaranteed ? No wonder this Forum cannot point anyone in the right direction and just confuses them.

You express my current sentiments exactly. That's why I chose self catherization (CIC) until which time the current "cures" make more sense. Sometimes less is more.

Jim

• Posted

In reality all cures have a success rate however small. One of the first two surgeons in the UK to do GL told me years after that initially we thought it was an easy operation but we soon learnt that it had to given more time and more care. Also by then he had the second generation machine at his private hospital. A friend had been one of his early patients had no post operation problems. 
  • Posted

I credit this forum for telling me that it was OK to do cic indefinitely, because that is really what I wanted to do.  My Urologist did not encourage me and I did not even know it was an option.  My wife first read to me off the internet what a long and painful recovery there was from TURP and Green Light laser wasn't a whole lot better.  At that time I was getting along well doing cic while waiting for surgery because I could not come even close to draining my bladder naturally; and the experience and advise on this board felt like nothing less than a God-send.  Without that encouragement I probably would have gone ahead and done what the doctor had me scheduled for.  

• Posted

I can only repeat that with GL my life was back to normal activities by day three and able to go out and about without always wondering where the nearest toilet was. People were saying that they had not expected to see me at the races that day, had my operation been cancelled ?. 

As friend who went to London for his had his catheter out the same afternoon and was out shopping the next day in Kings Road with his wife before going back to see his Uro and catching his plane home.  That's the way it was for most of us. Another who travelled home by train the same day played Pool the next night.  

• Posted

I think this forum helps a lot of men. The two big takeaways that are pretty clear are:

1) You can self cath indefinitely, not do any procedure and be perfectly healthy and possibly rehab your bladder.

2) There are things that can be done now that are very unlikely to cause permanent devastating side effects. The biggest risk is that that you go through it for no benefit. But if you find a good doc who has done a lot of them and match the procedure to your physiology, your odds of permanent problems are exceedingly low and your odds of getting significant relief are quite good. And #2 wasn't true as recently as 3 years ago.

• Posted

Modern catheters make for a safer procedure than previously when more doing it suffered frequent infections.

Evidently Victorian gentlemen carried their rubber catheters rolled up inside their top hats and died within a few months from an infection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.