BPPV

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having BPPV for about 3 weeks now.  I usually get it seasonally around  Sept/Oct, and then again  March/April.  Kinda weird that it comes on at these times of year.

By the way, I do not have allergies.

It is postional. Normally it is in my right ear, but this time it is my left ear.

Just wondered if anyone out there has this condition.

Also My balance this time has not been good.  I fell a jerking of my body to the right also,  and for some reason I have had this nasty smell in my nose for about a week.  I can not really tell what the smell is, but it seems like a bad food smell

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried Epley maneuver therapy by an experienced physiotherapist or a physician.

For me one session helped 2 years ago. Good luck!

• Posted

Hello there.   Thanks for your reply.

I have not.  I have watched all the youtube videos on it, but have not mustered up the courage to do it

I do know it will eventually go away.   It is slightly better, but I am careful how I move my head.  It has been 3 weeks, so hopefully it will make an exit soon.

What is weird about it, is that I also get this nasty smell thing in my nose. It is like a bad food smell.   It always seems to show up at or around the time the BPPV  starts,,,,,,weird.......   

• Posted

Don’t do it by yourself only let do it by an expirienced physiotherapist, please. 
    • Posted

Yes, I do know better.    I will wait a day or 2 and see how I am.  If it is not better, I will go to a walk in and ask for a referral for a physiotherapist.

Last year at this time, I had it and went to a walk in clinic.  The doctor did do the test to check which ear it was. I already knew that

He then went to his computer and printed off instructions for the exercises for me to do at home. He handed the papers to me and told me he was to busy.

can you imagine?????? I just looked at him, and walked out.      I should have said some really nasty to him.....or reported him 

• Posted

Do some research on vertigo and vitamin D deficiency. I read about this lately and there seems to be some thinking that there may be a link. The seasonality would play into this too. My bf had his 1st attack at the start of November, a minor one in December and another in March. 

We've started a heavy vitaminD supplementation routine for the last month to see if this helps. He used to live in a sunny country and never had vertigo until he moved to dreary-ville! So hoping this helps. 

We did lots of Epley and vision training during and after the first attack. The vision training seems to help shorten the intensity or maybe helps the brain adjust in attacks thereafter. He still feels like there's a vertigo hangover in his system. So we're researching like demons in the self-help efforts. 

• Posted

Thank you Sandra for your reply.  Yes do take Vit  D3.  I have been on 1000 mg for about a year now. When I had my blood checked last year, it was 65. had it rechecked  about a month ago and it was 88

This episode has been lasting a lot longer this time.  Going into my 4th week.   Weirdly, stomach  and bowel issues too   Grrrrr......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.