BPPV how long does it normally last if untreated

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI!  I started having vertigo when I was 5, was given valium at er and sent home.  Had slight dizziness episode in middle school, do's (neurologist) ran several tests but found nothing.  Was going to go on chair to induce dizziness but dizziness went away so they decided to not induce.  Then vertigo again in high school, upon turning in bed.  Went to primary care physician and was told I have BPPV.  Now I'm 23 and had the worst case of vertigo, couldn't get up for 2 days because of nausea and after effects of vertigo.  went to urgent care on day 2 and was given meclizine, felt better and went on to go to work although still wobbly, I also went to my primary care again and was told it was BPPV since he examined eye movement, he suggested epley maneuver, but since it seemed i was on my way to recovery i didn't want to go thru that feeling again.  on week 6 i turned in bed and had another episode of vertigo, this time i threw up clear fluids.  This time I was up and about quicker, but after 2 weeks, after only having ginger tea,  no fluids all day, I felt dizzy at the supermarket at around 1 and fell to the ground and got vertigo (note: i didn't bump my head or anything, it was a gentle fall to the ground, i landed on my bottom).  Went to ent, saw a nurse practitioner since she was the only one available.  I had a lot of wax build up so she really couldn't see in my ear, so i had ears flushed of ear wax, went for audiology tests.  No loss of hearing.  I haven't had an episode of vertigo, because i sleep propped up and avoid head movements.  But i continue to fee wobbly and like I'm on a boat.  I am also sensitive to noise, like when at a restaurant.  I try to keep active so my family comes along and walks with me and i feel weird when i walk at the turn (cul de sac) and I feel like i have a bad memory as well, because i feel like my brain is working hard to compensate for balance issues.  i have an appointment tomorrow for vestibular therapy.  I'm just wondering if anybody out there has the same situation.  I also read that bppv can resolve on its own in weeks or months.  Please help,  I'm so scared.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm going to vestibular tests tmrw. Audiology maybe? They are doing eye ear balance tests with head gear and probes and stuff. I had issues with restaurants and grocery stores, also driving. Which is syill my issue. I get wobbly sometimes still but not everyday. The eye issues are what I hate the most. Sometimes walking bothers me. Like out of my body or something. I am getting better though just eye issues and super tired a lot which read was all art of thsee vestibluar issues. All blood mri ct scan came clear, so lookin into other options. We will see what happens tmrw. Your not alone that's forsure!

• Posted

Bppv is crystals in tour ear that move, which is why they can do the dix-hall pike test to determine. They tilt yoy bavk and turn head quickly and warch for eye movements. Or yoy lau down on your side quickly and they watch your eyes. You can do physio for that. The first few times may seem limke it's not working from all the people on here that have wrote about it, but after a gee treatments and people have said they are way better. Hope toy find something soon! It's all terrible to deal with

• Posted

Need to have all the testing done to eliminate other issues. First eliminate anything bad. Then get the tests done to eliminate other inner ear disorders. I had the same symptoms for years. At first I didn't have hearing loss. Now I do. I have menieres. Bppv even when not treated doesn't last that long. The episodes shouldn't keep returning. Regular docs and some ent's are not trained to treat inner ear disorders. they are quick to say bppv and send you home. You need to see a ENT who specializes in inner ear disorders. I suggest a neurotologist. Not a neurologist, neurotologist. They specialize in these issues.

• Posted

I pray that you get some positive feedback because am suffering with the same problems. I was diagnosed with vertigo 5yrs ago and it's still on and off. Sometimes it can stay for weeks and months 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.