Brachytherapy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just wondered what other peoples experience is of Brachytherapy for prostate cancer?  This along with Radiotherapy has been offered to me to treat my prostate cancer

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had great experience with Proton Radiation. If your cancer is contained in the prostate this may be a very good option with very little side effects. One limitation is that it is not offered in the UK but when it comes to life and your good health do not let this be a handicap. 
  • Posted

Hello, my other half had brachytherapy back in January. The actual procedure was simple enough, didn't cause much trouble, but a week or so later he did start having quite bad side effects. He has prostatitis caused by radiation, symptoms mainly an aching prostate especially when sitting and radiation induced cystitis which caused severe burning on peeing. It took lots of different medications, including antibiotics which he still takes, but he is getting better slowly. He is a farmer and can't rest which doesn't help. Apparently only 10% of patients suffer this way. We know 3 people that had brachy and had no side effects whatsover. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, I will bear that in mind.  When I had a biopsy I had lots of bad side effects and eventually ended up being admitted into hospital, with prostate infection that made me so unwell.  The effecrs that your partner has suffered are exactly what I have discussed with my consultant. 

Thanks again

• Posted

Yes, the biopsy caused prostatitis, not bad like you obviously suffered but a dull ache that wouldn't go. He was on antibiotics on and off for 4 months but it never really improved, then he had the brachytherapy, but we think the biopsy caused the prostatitis rather than the brachytherapy. So he has been on antibiotics since biopsy last July. Only about a month without them. Can't be doing him any good. He had no symptoms before the biopsy.
  • Posted

Hi Personal20,

i read about Brachytherapy while I was in the US earlier this year.As I understand it, a radio active source is placed within the prostate by injection. It can be associated apparently with some fine Gold leaf. Again I understand that the purpose of the gold leaf is to reflect a proportion of the radiation back into the prostate in order to minimise the damage to local tissue and utilise the source to its full killing potential. Seems a good idea to me and i would have taken that for my own treatment if it had been offered.

However, I cannot understand why you would require Radiotherapy at the same time. I would expect them to wait until the results of the implanted source had been assessed. Perhaps I have misunderstood

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.