brain aneurysym

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if they have ever had a brain aneurysym and what the symptoms are please x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You would know if you had a brain aneurysm. You would either be in hospital or dead. It's not a minor condition.
  • Posted

Sorry, the first answer isn't correct. I had a brain aneurysm for many years APPARENTLY, I was told this AFTER it ruptured. Clearly not even THAT killed me. The subarachnoid haemhorrage I had was dealt with in enough time that I made a good recovery. Yes, aneurysms can be very dangerous, usually because of what MIGHT happen. If in doubt, seek medical help.
    • Posted

I didn't have a single symptom prior to my subarachnoid haemhorrage (that I'm aware was related). Most brain aneurysm's are very small (berry aneurysms), that doesn't mean that they're less dangerous, the blood pressure in the brain is very high, because the brain is usually the highest point of the body. So if one ruptures, it's a serious problem.

My first symptom was an unusual one, apparently, I had a 'thunderclap headache '. I had a sudden, excruciating head pain. I was lucky enough to have my daughter in the house. I phoned upstairs, she called an ambulance. When they arrived, my head pain had gone. Thankfully, my daughter insisted I go to hospital any way. The emergency assessment unit assumed it was 'just' something to do with my having MS. Until I lost consciousness. The next thing I knew, it was six and a half weeks later. I'd had burr holes drilled, a few cerebral angiograms done and finally, they'd had to do full-blown brain surgery. I missed the lot.

My surgeon later told me the odds I'd been lucky enough to beat: at the point of the haemhorrage there'd been a 25% chance of me dying before I got to hospital, 25% chance of dying before they could stop the bleeding and 25% chance of ending up severely disabled. Thankfully, I'm in the remaining 25%, who make a good recovery. I've had my brain extensively angiograms, and have no more aneurysms. The one I had, was simply a fluke.

I've been VERY lucky indeed!

• Posted

Hi Wendy you have been very lucky I am pleased you got to the hospital when you did .You have been through a lot hope all is ok with you now x
    • Posted

Thanks for asking, I'm far better than was expected, my memory's shocking now (particularly names, like repeatedly calling my daughter molly, which is my cat's name, oops!). I hope you're well, do you have concerns about stroke, either for you, or for someone in your life?
    • Posted

It is for myself Wendy I am having horrendous headaches and vision problems xx
    • Posted

I'm sorry you're having horrendous headaches. Mine was a haemhorragic stroke. The headaches I've had are something to do with the fact that the dura (one of the layers of covering around the brain) was breached, surgically, or that's what I was told while I was in hospital. There's a weird thing that helps (I don't remember how I worked this out?!). I tip my head forward, so my face is pointing towards the floor, then rapidly swivel my head from side to side, it sounds ridiculous, I realise, but it seems to redistribute the pressure and this usually either reduces or completely stops the pain. It might be worth a try, but I'm sorry if you try and it makes your headaches worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.