Brain feels like it has a 'mental block' / slowed thoughts

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there

I've been recently experiencing more frequent 'attacks' (for want of a better word), whereby I'll be thinking something and my thoughts slow down in the process. They will often slow down so much that it will feel like I am thinking and wading through treacle with the thoughts I am having, almost like metaphorically trying to push my way past something in my head to actually have the thought (if that makes any sense!)

I've had a head injury over two years ago, and have since recovered from post concussion syndrome etc but I did have a period after the head injury where my thoughts were considerably slower and I would struggle to think properly. I've also been getting a lot more headaches recently (I have a history of migraines) and have been waking up more with them. I know that all of these symptoms could be related to the head injury, and psychtropic drugs I was given after (including an antipyschotic and antidepressant), but these episodes really worry me as I am only 36 and it feels like I have some sort of dementia (or even brain tumour!)

My GP has referred me to a neurologist re: the headaches, and I'm coping with my drug induced movement disorder too (tardive dyskinesia). This, of course, may also have a bearing on my mental state as it does make me very anxious at times with all the wretched involuntary movements.

Has anyone else ever had really odd episodes of slowed/reduced thought speed etc? Could these be linked to my head injury or migraines? Or are they possibly something like epilepsy?

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I experience a similar type of slowing down and have still not been able to pinpoint the cause of this. I get to the point where I feel I'm almost sleepwalking at work and everything seems to be a real challenge both physical and mental. Sometimes having a 'fright' at work can get my adrenaline flowing and temporarily restore normality. I know what you are going through.

• Posted

As a child i suffered a fractured skull that temporarily affected my short term memory and ability to concentrate for any length of time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.