Brain Fog

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

My hysterectomy was eight weeks ago now and I feel I am doing well.  I also had anterior and posterior repair for prolapse.  Overall, I feel I have missed many side effects of surgical menopause that I feared.  I did have about a three hour surgery and a lot of strong pain medicine afterward.  I do have hot flashes but not struggling with many other issues until recently.  I am 48 and occasionally, before the surgery did have my moments of memory lapse but not what I feel I am experiencing now.  I seem much more forgetful since the surgery even forgetting what day it is (Saturday) or what my kids are doing this weekend, even though they say they have told me.  I have to make a list for every trip to town and it is starting to concern me a little.  Could it be from the anesthesia or related to having the ovaries out?  I am trying not to think I have Alzheimer's but am scaring myself and then I am just more stressed.  I haven't made mistakes at work but am worried about the level of forgetfulness with short term things and retaining information.  I feel a constant need to look at the calendar to make sure I know what the heck day it is and what I have coming up!!  I haven't put the ice cream in the cabinet yet.  Any advice is much appreciated.  Thanks! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You've had general anesthesia and pain medication.  Your body has undergone major surgery, which is quite a shock.  In addition, your body is experiencing radical changes in its chemistry.  Give yourself at least 6 months to fully heal and adjust...sometimes it does take that long. xx

• Posted

It's very early days. It can actually take a year to feel "normal" again & that's after just the double prolapse surgeries. So just continue with pad and pen and you will eventually come right. Hopefully you did virtually nothing for the first 6wks to allow your body to heal & adjust. So really you will only just have started a little more than light household duties 2wks ago. And you're back at work pretty quick. Have you just gone back?

• Posted

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for the response.  I went back to work at six weeks as was recommended.  I have a desk job so it has not been strenuous in any way, I am only feeling like I find myself having a blank stare when doing some things that were previously routine!  I was very careful and rested the first six weeks, but my stitches in the perineum have not fully dissolved yet and I do still feel a pulling down there.  I feel comfortable to drive but still make wise choices with how much I do and have a very supportive husband.  I don't like the forgetfulness and find myself avoiding situations and people right now because I have myself worried over it!  Thanks...

• Posted

Hi lyn67397

Memory problems following anesthesia are not uncommon and can last for up to a year.  Some medicines can cause memory problems too.  If your taking any perscription drugs read the patient information leaflet to see if memory loss is listed as a side effect.  You could also do an internet search on each medicine your taking.  If you find a link between your medicine and memory loss talk to your doctor, maybe they could put you on something else.  Memory problems can also occur during menopause too and are often described as brain fog.  What ever the cause, talk to your doctor, I'm sure they'll be able to offer you the help and support you need.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.