Brain Fog after mononucleosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Description of the disease from 01/04/2018 - 04/01/2020 (over 1.5 year) - Jacob 16 years, Poland

BRIEF INTRODUCTION: Symptoms began to intensify about 3 months before going down with mononucleosis - EBV virus (classic severe symptoms for 2 months after getting sick) NO CLASSICAL SYNDROME OF CHRONIC Fatigue - certainly not "classic", i.e. no fatigue, and rather, other mental symptoms

Smoking cannabis, pure, in the Netherlands, "revealed" the symptoms listed below (only 3 months before falling ill, previously I had a normal reaction)

I used to be sensitive to criticism, low self-esteem, no depression, which disappeared half a year ago due to the use of various supplements for a month.

Many of the symptoms fade away from time to time and come back at random times for a random period of time

MOST OF THE SYMPTOMS ARE GONE BUT NEW HAVE APPEARED 😭

1 MENTAL:

intellectual:

• Brain fog (problems with understanding the simplest things in the surrounding, formulating thoughts, making sentences, logical thinking) + breaking through the so-called fog requires enormous intellectual effort and focus, which is accompanied by overheating of the head - red face
  • Empy head (no thoughts) - a different state to brain fog
  • Weakened short-term memory + problem with retrieving memories from the past (no memory gaps) + NO HEAD INJURY CONFIRMED BY MRI, EEG, QEEG

Vision:

-Derealization (the impression of unreality of the surroundings)

-Visual snow - seeing sand that shines everywhere

-Viewing in blue colors on both or one eye for a few seconds after opening the eyes (this is caused by closing them for about a minute)

• Slow accommodation after moving the eyesight from one point to another (cloudy thinking)
  • Fatigue of the eyes after a few second focus on one point, which is accompanied by the disappearance of the image contours
  • In the dark, after a short moment of staring at one point, the image becomes completely dark faster than normal, accompanied by the lack of any visibility

-Decreased sex drive and libido

• Sometimes astigmatism symptoms, despite no proven astigmatism

2 SOMATIC:

Heart:

-Quick, strong heartbeat, dark spots in the vision and the impression that it I will pass out every time I get up (much stronger and more frequent than before)

-Palpitations

• A much stronger heartbeat than before, like a hammer

Eyes:

Tired, heavy, stinging and red eyes

ears:

-Red ears

-High noise in ears

• Goosebump sensation inside the left ear, stronger feeling

Head:

• Overheating of the head after trying to focus and think

-Headaches, mainly of the right hemisphere

-Tingling on the skin of the skull

-Dry scalp (no dandruff or lice)

Others:

-Light balance problems

• Strong, fast jumping / twitching of random muscle parts (no cramps)
  • Spit, pain in the sternum

-Swinging sensation

After about 12 months, when the symptoms eased slightly, I decided to smoke cannabis again in the Netherlands twice. For the first time, I had the expected positive experience, it did not intensify any brain fog symptoms. A week later (Paralelly with the change of Paroxinor to Wenflaxine) smoking caused a terrible empty head, lack of thoughts, which caused anxiety, but not to the point that I would get a panic attack.) The emptiness in my head subsided after few months. During this time, the emptiness in my head was helped positively by straining various muscles (it helped to forget about the symptoms, and some light pain from it, motivated to focus), which I was addicted to in some way.

I overcame 'muscle tightening' when the doctors explained it was a psychological issue and it didn't really help me. To help myself through this process, I used the following drugs:

• Increasing the dose of SSRIz 10 mg Paroxinor to 20mg, Lots of side effects made me stop taking it at all

-Supplement "Tryptophan" (increases serotonin levels), caused waking up, sweating at night, and empty-head, which passed after 2 days of withdrawal.

These below helped:

-D3 5000IU

-Cysteine 500mg

-B3 500mg

-Bcomplex

-Omega 3 2g

-Evening primrose oil 10ml

-Magnesium 300mg

-Zinc 60mg

-Probiotics: DYNABIANE, LACTIBIANE STANDARD, LACTIBIANE CND M10

-Cogiton 5mg

However, for some time (2 weeks from 18/12/2019), which I mostly associate with taking Glycine, a one-time increase in the dose of vitamin D3 to 10,000IU with 5,000IU and a return to the usual diet for a week. Although this does not make sense, because a month earlier the same package of Glycine helped me, diet didn’t affect me in such a way, and vitamin D3-sun should not do such harm. symptoms:

-Empty head/brain fog

-Waking up at night after 5 hours and light sweating at night

-Derealization and muddy eyesight

-Very light pain all over the body(head - different places, sternum, ribs, etc.)

• Stinging eyes

-Light balance problems

• Different, negative reaction to supplements than before
  • Tingling in the big toe of the left leg

-Stronger feeling of the skin on the right side of the head (hard to explain + does no bother me)

-light lack of strength

// The symptoms mostly do not occur together, except for empty head and waking up at night. I also have no digestive problems.

ADDITIONALLY:

-My intestinal microflora is ok

-I don’t have anxiety and don’t feel under the weather (only empty head bothers me a lot)

-No brain injury(QEEG, EEG,f MRI)

-My omega acids and other acids in body are on a decent level (I had a test)

Could you help me please, I stopped going to school because of the brain fog and I’m afraid I won’t be able to pass the class (I’m 16).

I understand that firstly brain fog was most probably caused by mononucleosis and EBV, but now I can’t see any logical reason for my new brain fog and symptoms. Do you know what I should do?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am sorry you are dealing with this. I myself have similar symptoms that I have been dealing with for 4.5 years now. Still searching for answers..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.