Brain fog/Disconnected Feeling. Facial numbness(?)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had mono since November. I had a brain fog onset that made me feel disconnected which prompted me to go to an Urgent Care and then my Primary Care doctor. At the time, it was diagnosed as a sinus infection. Then after 2 weeks when the medicine did not help, I started to feel achy and ultimately had a low grade fever for maybe a few days at most. I also had swollen lymph nodes that didn't take too long to go away. I got tested for mono after those two weeks and tests came back positive. Most notably, I've had this brain fog/disconnected feeling ever since November with fatigue. I also feel at times that the feeling in my face is suppressed (not even sure if that's the case, it's just a weird feeling).

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Yes, while it's not often listed as an 'official' symptom, I've seen many people who experience brain fog/a disconnected feeling. I have too occasionally, but not all the time.

• Edited

my doc basically said that that disconnected feeling is anxiety playing its role in this while thing, its terrible 9 months in here was doing good but with this covid mess is came roaring back ..... good luck and prayers!

• Edited

It does exacerbate it, but I think it also has to do with the hazy vision that I've experienced with mono. The pandemic has definitely led to more anxiety. Thank you for your well wishes. Prayers to you as well!

• Posted

Ive had mono since June 2019 & yes I still have brain fog & lightheadedness, it was my first symptom & still persists although not nearly as bad as it was. Facial numbness was another symptom I had for a few months but not anymore. Muscle weakness, mainly in my left leg, blurry right eye, chest pain & palpitations, muscle twitches, indigestion, sensitive skin & anxiety are just some of my other symptoms. Stabbing, random pain comes & goes.

• Posted

The disconnected feeling was the first symptom for me. Before the brain fog I had heart palpitations that lasted about a day on two different occasions. The first week I had brain fog I went to the doctor and they told me it was sinusitis and they prescribed me steroids and antibiotics. After a week it didn't get any better and I actually started getting achy and had a low grade fever. I went back to the doctor and they ran blood work, and that's when they realized I had mono. Since then the disconnected feeling hasn't gone away. Are you still experiencing the last symptoms you listed?

• Posted

The blurry right eye & chest pain have both gotten better but I still have all the other symptoms. Your case resembles mine a lot as the brain fog was the first symptom & less than a week after it started I went to the ER because of severe brain fog & extremely weak & lightheaded and they said I have a sinus infection. It didnt get better and after another week or so my family DR did some blood work & found mono. Hope you get well soon!

• Posted

It's been a challenge, but i'm grafeful for the lessons it's taught me. Thank you for the well wishes, feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.