Brain fog, need help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Let me preface my question by saying that I am a 22 year old male who exercises and lifts 3 days a week. My diet is not the best but I stay away from junk food and sweets. It has remained largely unchanged for the last 7 months. I am not sure exactly when my problems, the best I can guess is around September 2016. The Tuesday after Thanksgiving was day one for my records. I noticed from then on out the feelings of being lethargic, spaced out, foggy (“brain fog”), and lightheaded with some unfocused or dazed visual problems. These problems have persisted in one way or another ever since. While I am not sure if they were caused by anxiety and depression, I certainly feel those now as well.

I have been under a certain amount of stress since summer, nothing I felt I was not able to handle though. I had finally tapered off the Zoloft I had taken for 4 years through college in mid July and was feeling good without it despite the withdrawal effects that ceased after a few weeks.  I had also recently started working in a bakery at the end of September. My work hours are a little skewed. I work Monday (8am-4), off Tuesday, Wednesday (5am-1), Thursday (8am-4), and Friday (6am to 2). I try to get at least 6 hours of sleep every night, with less than 6 on rare occasions given my random work schedule. At this point the worst thing for me is the brain fog as it is causing cognitive impairment and memory issues that I absolutely cannot be having at a time like this (I am trying to get a full time job).

I currently take a multivitamin, omega-3, and magnesium glycinate. I have also had the following tests and results.

November 30th 2016

Na                          140 mmol/L                        134-144

K                             4.4 mmol/L                         3.6-5.2

Cl                            102 mm/L                            98-108

CO2                        28.2 mmol/L                       21.0-32.0

BUN                       18mg/dL                              7-25

Crea                       1.1 mg/dL                            0.6-1.3

Glucose                  85 mg/dL                             70-105

CA                          104 mg/dL                           8.6-10.5

TSH                        5.22 uIU/mL                       0.34-5.60

Hepatic normal except:

T Bili                       1.23 mg/dL                          0.30-1.00

D Bili                      0.23 mg/dL                          0.03-0.24

IBIL                         1.00 mg/dL                          0.00-0.70

CBC/Auto Diff normal

December 20th 2016

ANA                       <1.40

Vitamin B12        668                         130-770

C-Reactive          <0.3                       <5.0

Lyme Antibody – none found

Sed Rate              3                              0-15

EEG normal

MRI normal

January 3rd 2017

TSH                        2.48                        0.40-4.50 mIU/L

T4, FREE               1.2                          0.8-1.8

T3,FREE                 3.3                          2.3-4.2

Vitamin D                 34                           30-100

I have stopped seeing the neurologist who ordered the second blood test. Her final comments were to get consistent sleep and to take Zoloft again for the anxiety. I have been taking the Zoloft to relieve me of my anxiety and depression, however I am still concerned there is an underlying issue that I have to address. I have checked my room for carbon monoxide and have been testing myself for sleep apnea using an oximeter. I understand this only addresses severe cases but it would take a while to get another doctor’s appointment. That being said I have also ordered another calcium test along with a PTH and testosterone to eliminate further potential threats. Does anyone who can interpret my results have any other ideas?  I appreciate your time greatly.

4 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I have read your Post, sad to say I am not a Doctor, like most on here we are normal patients with various health problems, my Condition is Reactive Depression

I read your caveat regards your Doctors suggestions and diagnosis and I would agree your sleep paterns need to be looked into. Six hours and less on occasions is ok, although six hours on a continuous basis with Continental Shifts will not be giving you sufficent sleep, so I agree with your Doctor.

I can also understand you have suffered anxiety in the past and it seems it needs further treatment, so taking your Zoloft would be helpful to control your Anxiety.

Your Neurologist has given you a diagnosis that meets the bill

Keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

Very informative post, describes my symptoms and circumstances almost perfectly. Check my most recent post, maybe we can help each other out.
    • Posted

Have you told your PCP about what you've been experiencing? It might help to have some tests run to start eliminating certain problems.

• Posted

I haven't, but I not sure of it's severity so I've held off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.