Brain fog or "brain fart"?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Are you experiencing any of these? Sue Joahnson, the lovely granny, called brain fog "brain farts." Cool, eh? Any of the former or the latter?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes, fun, fun! I hate when I first meet someone, ask their name and five minutes later I'm at a loss to what they told me their name was! Yikes!  Mine can be from either Peri or hypothyroidism I'm told. Alls I know it's darn frustrating at times! 

Annie xx

• Posted

Yes yes yes, happening just lately to me to. I'm only 46! Should I b concerned? & in peri!. I can b in a conversation & half way through telling who ever I'm in conversation with I forget thr rest at what I want to say, like I forget what the rest happened & I have to stop &re think but I fail!!!!. I simply forget. I'm sooooo embarrassed . I only thought this started in woman in their 60's?!. This happens a lot lately.!!!. Take care xxxx
    • Posted

You know, I wonder if some of this isn't simply that our minds all so overwhelmed by information overload. Honestly, there are times I am in conversation, I hear myself asking the person a question, yet I am also thinking about something else! And I hear my younger (I'm mid 50's) co-workers, anywhere from late 20's and up say similiar things and I watch them do the same dopey, forgetful things I do on occasion. 

So how much of this is real brain fog (I'm sure to some degree it is and it does scare me!) and how much is simple overload is anyone's guess. 

I try not to attach every new crazy symptom to Peri, as there are days I am bit freaked out to find myself here already, (they are kidding when they say time flies fast, in my mind I'm still in my 20's!) I have learned some of my issues are related to other things going on.

Still hate having to struggle thinking of names and what not on occasion!!

Annie xx

• Posted

Being brain fogginess no common in menopause why don't doctors address this with nootropics on antiaging perspective?
    • Posted

I mean "so common"... see i'm  adhd too!
    • Posted

I am not sure what can be done about the brain fogginess really. I go to an Integrative MD (they try to find non-pharmaceutical ways first) and I am going to a therapist to "learn" how to relax and breathe.  Sounds crazy and I'm still kind on the fence regarding it-as I practice Yoga and figure that should be enough, this lady says not really though. So while I'm on my 3rd visit with her and try to implement her suggestions to do at home, I'm wondering how much this all helps to settle the mind.

Will update you if I see any improvements in the brain fog department.

• Posted

Yeah please, do!

I'm willing to try Piracetam. I also have fibromyalgia and it's fogginess x 2. 

Antiaging doctors prescribe it as a neurodegenerative preventative. 

• Posted

I had to google that one. Never heard of it until this morning. Interesting. I see it can be bought over the internet and at some health food stores here.  Let us know if you do try and it and what your results are, I'm seeing all types of experiences from positive to no effect at all in my quick glance at reviews of it. First wanted to read what it is. Interesting that it's been around for roughly 50 yrs and yet as I say, first time I've heard anything about it. Thanks for sharing!
    • Posted

Right on this site there's some info about it's standard use:

https://patient.info/medicine/piracetam

But Piracetam is being prescribed as preventative antiaging medice. If you search for

Nootropics Series - Part 2: Piracetam The original smart drug  you'll find interesting info. 

• Posted

I can testify that meditation and contemplative practices are very effective.
  • Posted

Major BF: I just poured a bag of cornflakes on to a pan of boiling water… the idea was to cook corn pasta for dinner. I suppose they’re both corn and yellow but I feel like I’m losing my mind!cry
  • Posted

Yeah. Been 'farting' for years! Some I blame purely on just being female, and having to multi task so often. Other times yep, defo hormonally-challenged ability to talk anything other than pure crap.

But probably more than we'd like to admit: we just switch off/ignore/just stop listening to things that we subconsciously recognise as boring, innane or good ol' BS!!! .........or is that really just me?!:-)

oh, and another thing I think we 'embrace' at this wonderful time in our life is the opportunity to be short, abrupt, sorta rude, question something/everything, complaint, dismiss, pan (female Victor Meldrew!!)......shall I go on?

Afterall, if anyone dare pick us up on any of this, we can always burst into floods of tears to shut them up. Works every time, a long as you can cope with hearing them mutter "Its a bloody nutter...!" as they slowly walk away, backwards:-) :-) :-) !!

Oh, never let it be said that this is not an exiting time :-) :-) :-)

"Brain Farts"...!!! I like that. Humour in this life is absolutely everything!

Keep the Faith girls x

Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.