Brain fog worse during period?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was just wondering if any other women here with mono have also noticed their brain fog worsens during their period? I've noticed it for several months now, but finally decided to ask today. I can go to write something down, but then something distracts me and when I get back to writing down whatever it was, I forgot what it was! My anxiety has been worse during this cycle (not much different than usual during this time anyways) and so has my depression which I suspected was the cause of my brain fog initially, but I still find it worrying... Does anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

i dont know how long you have been dealing with mono but i know during my worst months i always felt worse around my cycle, mentally and physically. I don't know if i noticed my brain fog was any worse however because it was generally bad all the time. even now i forgot things that i was just about to say or do two seconds ago, very annoying. But i do think it makes sense you would get worse symptoms around that time. even without mono it can be unpleasant as our bodies get ready for that time of the month. I wouldn't worry too much about it ( :

• Posted

Hi Dominika,

I'm currently somewhere between month nine and ten, I'm not sure which since I had symptoms for several weeks before being diagnosed. My brain fog was worse in the first six months, but it goes back to being bad with every cycle just like how it makes my joint pain and anxiety flare up. If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have mono for before it stopped making you feel worse during your cycle?

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Of course I can't comment too much on women's cycle and the likes, but it does seem to make sense that this together with going through mono could make symptoms more intense and tough around those times. Hoping very much there can be some women with some knowledge / experience of this to offer some encouragement and good advice on this subject.

Hang in there and hoping these awful symptoms settle Ciela - still believing that you are going to get back to full health again with some more time and that breakthrough in your recovery is on its way.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your kind words! It's hard to believe that it's been almost ten months since I was diagnosed. In the beginning, I definitely took it too lightly and really wish now that I would have rested more for a chance at a quicker recovery. I've finally started to have a bit more energy, but most symptoms are still on a come and go sort of basis. I hope that means I'm starting to recover from this at last.

• Posted

Things will come back to you Ciela, your energy and body resilience and just feeing much more healthy and well again. It can be a gradual thing for sure over a period of time, it can also be kind of zig-zag, a real step forward and then a bit of a setback, a bit up and down too which can make it a bumpy and frustrating journey. But if you imagine it like a graph with peaks and troughs, but overall the direction of the graph is moving upwards towards recovery.

Please don't beat yourself up for feeling like you didn't take it easy enough in the earlier stages of this virus - believe me Ciela it is something EVERYONE does, when you don't know how horrible and long-lasting this virus is going to be at the time its natural to try to push through and keep on with life as normal as you would maybe try to push through a normal cold or flu or whatever. It won't affect or stop you from recovering in the long run, even if you feel you did too much early on, so please don't worry about that or beat yourself up - I did the same in the early stages of the virus and I think most people do!

Really good to hear that you are feeling that you're energy levels are bit better, definitely hoping this is a sign on the start of a real breakthrough. I noticed you also mentioned about joint and muscle pain too - I clearly and specifically remember at around 9 to 10 months I had a horrible phase for a few weeks of really nasty joint pain, especially in my limbs, some weird bruising too, I really was at a low ebb then feeling like I couldn't take much more of this dreaded virus. But looking back I feel that was almost like a final push of my body to start to kick the virus out, and started to see some real improvement and steps forward from 10 months onwards, so definitely hoping and praying this can be the case for you too Ciela - i.e. that these pains and different symptoms you're having at the moment can be a signal of the beginning of the end for this virus!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.