Brain just shutting down, zombie state - Desperate for help.

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have been back and forth to doctors for many years now with what I initially described as fatigue, inability to concentrate, brain fog, blocked ear, strange uncharacteristic mood swings + a whole host of other little things like sudden chills, body aches and pains, frequent diarrhea etc

Now I have never had any luck with any of the doctors I've seen but to be truly honest I only have myself to blame. I've been frightfully bad at explaining and zoning in at what the main issues are and instead just name a myriad of symptoms. I've had a full blood planel which came back negative.

Now after thorough analysis I can at least rule out many things. It is NOT depression or anxiety, but when my symptoms strike they can exasperate my problems. It is not ADD inattentive type, however the reactions I get lead to almost identical symptoms. I tested negative for celiac and a whole host of other conditions. I seem to react to everything. I often feel the fog attaching itself to my brain and the brain switching off 5 minutes after eating a normal sized meal

What is happening is that I am in a nearly perpetual state of brain fog. I would call it a zombie state. Everyday, the level of the spaciness varies continually as I react to everything I consume - literally everything. I'm very wary about driving and will only drive when feeling near 90% ok. When it completely lifts , which happens most days for an hour or so, I am my old self again. Happy go-lucky, able to take things in with ease, focussed and motivated. And my memory recall suddenly comes back.

Now this evening for example, I was going about my day with what I would call mild spaciness. Everything a little slower than I would like but not debillitating enough to stop me getting on. I popped to the chemist to buy some sudafed as I had decided to see if it would help lift my spaciness as I had read positive comments regarding pseudoephedrine. I took it at 7.45 then sat down to watch University Challenge at 8. All was fine but as I sat there I started to feel the fog build. It got stronger and stronger and eventually I spent the last 20 minutes of the show staring blankly at the screen, unable to take anything in. Zilch. Just constant blank staring which I would pull myself out of every 5 or so seconds for it to just happen again. I felt nothing, no emotion, no connection, yet not tired. Just a complete sedation of my brain like I'd taken a whole bunch of Valium pills (i've never taken any so just guessing what it feels like!) 

The zombie state was too much so I decided to get away and have a lie down. After about half an hour, I Iiterally felt the fog disappearing, the brain switching back on, the mental energy slowly coming back.

This reaction happens all the time. I've never found consistent triggers but have found that any mild substance (caffeine, alcohol) definitely brings it on, as well as medium sized meals.

Now the only thing I've ever felt lift the brain fog is an almost fasting state. I am however borderline underweight despite consuming a good 2500 calories a day. I've never been able to gain weight and the one week I cut my calories in half I lost a stone immediately. However I was starting to feel like a proper person for the first time in many, many years.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? It's almost as if my brain is unable to tolerate anything. I've recently given up caffeine as I've had debilitating brain fog and spaciness after a single cup of tea. 

My doctor suggested Narcolepsy when I told him about waking up unrefreshed most mornings, fall asleep at the click of my fingers, and feeling whacked and like a zombie for no reason, but I really don't think that is causing the weird reactions and terrible zoning out most times of the day. He referred me to a Neurologist but the NHS waiting times are 6 months and I can't really afford to go private and spend £250 on a consultation unless I'm sure the neurologist will provide answers, as I currently jobless due to battling each day through the haziness.

My life is falling apart and although I am starting to spot more and more strange reactions, I'm not managing to find any concrete answers.

5 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I lay here at 458am reading all these post, and am just looking for answers myself. I am a former college athlete, 41, and started suffering this zombie mode 5 years ago. And now I can barely make it through a work day... I started happening after sports or any exertion of energy and taking an hour to lift the fog, to know taking 48 hours, and I am barely able to work. The life feels sucked out of me every day.

Symptoms are:

Cloudy head

Minor headaches

Slow response times

Irritability

Clammy

Angry

Fatigue

I feel like a zombie walking around in a bubble and it is starting to scare me. I don't feel normal and doctors keep telling me I am perfectly normal and every test comes back like I'm the healthiest person on the planet, but I know I am not. It makes me want to crawl in a corner. I am going to try some of the things mentioned on here, but I feel as this gets worse I may not be able to go on with my life. It is affecting me that much and I don't know what to do. ...

• Posted

Dluke,

Chasing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome might make sense.

Very recent research is quite persuasive that this IS a physical illness.

Best, Joe

Wa

• Posted

In case you aren't following this discussion. I would suggest cutting gluten out of your diet for a week or more. If it helps cut it out completely. That is the only thing that gave me my mind back.

• Posted

Have you looked into Vitamin D? You're not working and don't feel well, do you go out and get any sun?

Most people are below optimal now a days but it can mess you up bad if it gets really low. Fatigue, bone and muscle pain, digestive and food allergies, brain fog. 20 is deficit, I was at 15 last year. It was bad. Look it up..could be your problem. I didn't finish treatment and I think I'm getting bad again. I feel like I can't eat anything either..I get reactions to everything. sad Anyway I hope this helps you or anyone else reading this.

-Wendy

• Posted

Also, if it's not vitamin D..you could have a gluten intolerance..I test negative for Celiac but if I eat gluten my brain is gone and my normal digestive symptoms turn into big problems. My body just shuts down..I can't help but pass out for an hour or two. I feel my best when I don't eat anything, just like you said.

• Posted

This should really be looked at by a neurologist as there are too many things it could be, the logical steps would be blood tests, as they are fairly cheap and easy for the NHS, also blood pressure etc then to ask for a neurologist referral if it comes back clean. An MRI would probably find the culprit.

My guess is a migraine aura or a micro-seizure.

I agree it doesnt sound like ADD-pi as this is not interittent nor is it a profound sensation.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I'm 25 now, and I've been dealing with this issue for two years...it's getting worse and worse, and I know the pain you're dealing with !

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia although my brain fog seems to be a bit stronger than the descriptions shows. So, was wondering, have you been to a rhumatologist yet? You never know...your symtoms (fatigue, inability to concentrate, brain fog, blocked ear, strange uncharacteristic mood swings + a whole host of other little things like sudden chills, body aches and pains, frequent diarrhea etc) are exactly the same I have, and usually linked to neurological problems...

I know it sounds pretty weird, and I used to laugh at this, but meditation helped me a lot, it really and progressively get the fog out after an hour. Also, I've recently heard about the oxygenotherapy that would help the brain tissues to re-fix itself. 

Hope you'll find an answer, stress isn't helping!!!

• Posted

A year ago - I wonder how you are.  Did your full blood panel include ferritin iron, serum iron, transferrin saturation %, and TIBC (usually known as Iron Studies)?  Just plain iron is an insufficient test.

Asking, because I suffered from all those symptoms when I had undiagnosed haemochromatosis.  Despite now being 'de-ironed', I still have some of the problems.  The diagnosis was too late and not everything goes away with treatment.

I still have fatigue, foggy memory, feel like a truck has hit me after I eat, find avoiding sugars and starches helps, but am affected by even a little piece of bread or potatoe, and many other problems which won't go away.   These also include suddenly becoming iced when the temperature is warm/hot or vice versa.  I had to give up work to reduce the severity of the symptoms, as I could not push myself anymore, much as I loved my job.

Good luck with it.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl, 

What you mentionned really interests me since I've received a while ago blood test results with an anormal transferrin saturation level. Did you liver used to hurt?

I can't drink an alcolhol otherwise I feel sick and get really tired with weird heart pulsations after meals. 

I woke up reconsidering my iron studies, and send a mail to my doctor about it. Could you tell me (us) more about it ?

Thanks!

Phil

• Posted

*Also, would exercising help out despite the crazy fatigue?

(I'm sort of relieved you talked about haemochrotosis since it shows pratically the same symptoms as fibromyalgia, I'd love to get a real treatment. I am quite nervous since my liver feels heavier and heavier)

• Posted

The TS% is the most telling marker regarding classic haemochromatosis.  If the results of your Iron Studies test show that your ferritin iron is >300 (male and menopausal women) >120? (if a woman is still menstruating), and your TS% is >50 if male, >45 if female, and your serum iron is >30, then this is most likely classic haemochromatosis.  A genetic test then should be done to confirm.  Your searches will find out that it makes us absorb iron non-stop into our organs.

If only your ferritin levels are high, then there are other causes, like too much alcohol, inflammation, infection, malignancy, fatty liver, etc. and your liver is most likely affected.

Haemochromatosis most often does affect the liver when left untreated, as well as heart, and pancreas.  Arthritis is very common.  It can make your brain feel foggy, lose concentration and memory loss, although a lot drs deny that iron affects the brain, but they deny a lot of things, even though there is research studies that prove it.  I was lucky that my liver was not affected but a lot of the rest of me was.

For me, I am totally stuffed for the rest of the day if I 'exercise' or do anything that requires a lot of energy/effort.  Last year and most of this year, I tried hard to spend two x1 hour days at a gym to try to build strength.  That was 2 whole days lost in my week recovering.

I feel whole body pain (e.g. bone and muscle) all the time.  But it is different for everybody, and while there are all these possible symptoms, not everyone feels the same set of symptoms.

Is your liver or upper stomach protruding too?  Obviously, you should get a health check and you probably will have to be assertive and request these checks if your dr has not tested you before now.  Go armed with information.   A blood test does not always pick up liver problems - a scan is usually necessary.

Treatment for haemochromatosis is venesections or phlebotomies (depends on where you come from) which is a pint of blood drawn from you are regular intervals, frequency of which depends on the level of ferritin.  I started off weekly for several months.  But I was glad to get the toxic stuff out of me.  It is better than having to have chemo.

And I used to donate 3 monthly for years before I was diagnosed, but obviously that was not enough.

Good luck.

• Posted

Concerning the iron studies, I've only been tested for Iron (I reach the top level), TS (50,8%), but the ferritin and the transferritin levels are normal. 

Not even high, just normal. Now, I'm not able to eat any kind of meat since 4-5 months, I started to be digust without noticing it, I just can't stand it, so I don't have any major iron input. 

As for the pain I'd say it's both the upper stomach and the liver (even the spleen), it's really hurtful and I can't stand up generally, I need to sit. My heart is always racing, and I'm out of breath easily, sometimes my whole body shakes. As for my brain, it's a disaster, I feel it squished most of the time and I am more and more looking for words while I'm talking.

I'm worried that the doctor says it's nothing since I don't have high levels of transferrin and ferritin...yet my body is just wrecked and I'm only 25, it's exhausting. 

When did you start to feel better? How long does it have to take to feel improvement ? 

Do you think I should insist to get the genetic test ? Could the high TS level  have an other cause ? 

Thanks for your answer Sheryl! If it turns out to be positive, then you're a life saver.

• Posted

You are only 25 and you do not appear to be loading iron, IF, you have haemochromatosis.  So, in reality it is not likely to be the cause of your health issues.

Have your iron studies monitored in 6-12 months times, but in the mean time, it is important that your dr check out other causes.

• Posted

For fibro check out a paleo type diet and look into a good probiotic such as prescript assist.

There was one study that showed that in 42 out of 42 cases those with fibro had poor "good" bacteria.

If you've went through hard times usually magnesium theornate, gaba, help lots to relax the mind/body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.