Brain MRI

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I got the results from my brain MRI today - I picked up the radiologists report cold and my doctor of course never called me nor returned my phone call. I was hoping someone can help me interpretating his findings because I'm freaking myself out.

Directly abutting the superior colliculus is a 7x6x8 mm mildly FLAIR hyperintense mass. A punctate foci of susceptibility is noted anteriorly within the mass likely reflecting a small calcification. No acute intracranial hermorrhage, extracerebral fluid collection, or midline shift. No acute infarction. No abnormal susceptibility. The cerebral volume is appropriate for the patient'a stated age. The ventricles are normal in size and configuration. The visual paranasal sinuses are essentially clear. No suspicious marrow signal.

His impression was:

7x6x8 mm mass in region of the pineal gland which may represent a proteinaceous cyst. Thin section pre and postcontrast coronal and sagittal T-2 weighted imaging of this region is recommended for further evaluation provided there is no contraindication. No acute intracranial hemorrhage or transcortical infarction.

Any help figuring this out will really help ease my anxiety.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Its just that there is a cyst next to pineal gland, that is called proteinaceous, that needs further evaluation. 

Other than that everything looks normal. 

• Posted

Looks pretty good to me apart from a possible cyst that may need looking into. If it had been bad news I am sure the doctor would have got back to you pretty quickly.
  • Posted

I have obstructive hydrocephalus and no one willl telll me anything. They are do surgery but haven't explained the reason for choice of test or what the expected outcome is supposed to be. I have had several. Inductions prior to them finding this and I have had to beg all the way for further testing. It is so frustrating and they keep saying they are concerned about my anxiety but if they would just treat the problems. My anxiety would go away, they seek intent on treating just the symptoms. Very frustrating.

• Posted

First of all, you don't want to freak out, even though it is the first thing a lot of people probably do.  Some of the more salient findings that could have been there are not.

That is good, secondly, a hyperintense mass, for instance is seen in the brains of 

many older people, I'm assuming you are an older person, correct? This imaging 

study needs to be gone over with your physician.  Without even knowing what prompted your physician to order this particular test in the first place, I would only 

be guessing as far as interpretation is concerned.  You need to talk to your doctor.

• Posted

Nope not older - only 28 years old. His impression was that it MAY be a proteinaceous cyst but how definite is that? I guess I just don't know how definite a diagnosis is in the impression. It may be that, but it may be something else too I guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.