Brain pressure at the back of head for almost three weeks.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I'm not good at putting a story together so I'll just spew what I've been experiencing. 

I've had this head pressure at the back of my head running into my neck since the 15/02/16 and the feeling has been a dull, weird, slight discomfort type of sensation and at times it would be constant. 

For the entire duration my fingers and hands have been in a way jittery/ twitchy? Not really though just a miniscal amount but if I were to put into perspective; for me, when I type, it's natural, I can touch type with ease and type fast as well but since I've had this problem I've had to focus more on "brain power" as you will into typing with ease and I would miss hit the wrong key or something along these lines. Moving my mouse as well has been the same. If I were to put it down into two words, they would be weird and different. I have to say though as the week goes past, it has become a little easier and in a sense back to normal and natural only slightly though.

Another symptom I've been experiencing is dizziness, there would be times where I would feel lightheaded in a way and just dizzy. I would also stumble back a step and lose balance basically. 

When I talk, people say it sounds normal but I know in myself that when I talk it's different and something isn't normal, it's almost like I can feel a slight stutter when I talk, this has improved over time though but I can notice it every now and then. 

Last week, I was restless in bed, I couldn't really sleep but this may have been down to my sleeping pattern being terrible. This week however sleeping has been okay. 

Now I find that when I take Naproxen and/or paracetamol, majority of these symptoms go away, I'm typing right now as we speak with relative ease.

I've been to see my GP three times now within the duration of this occuring, I've seen two doctors and both have said across the three appointments that it is a tension headache and muscle tension in the neck. They both don't believe it's anything sinister and said that it isn't a tumour nor is it anything neurodegenerative. In fact one of the doctors have said and I quote "I will be happy to bet a wad of cash and say it's not Motor Neurone Disease nor is it anything neurodegenerative". 

Now the other doctor who I saw twice, actually I saw them on Thursday and they said it's not a tumour and they also had a feel of my ear lymph nodes on my face and on my left side, they said that there is a lymph node there that is bumpy, they then proceeded to examine my ear and had a look inside the left ear and said that my left ear drum was red. She checked the right side and I think they said that was fine but I didn't quite hear because they was talking.

I also have asked my friend who is a junior doctor and have told him everything I've told you and he said a tension headache doesn't sound too far fetched and that "with these headaches, the best way to fix them is to relax", he advised that I get a massage and just relax really. 

With all this being said, I'm not really stressed to be honest, I'm a pretty chill guy and take things easy. Nothing at the moment is causing me much stress except for this problem I have, I don't even know what it is, so I'll just say problem/ illness. 

Blood pressure, temperature have all been normal throughout all three appointments.

I was recommended in my first appointment to go see an optician of which I saw today and they said, they didn't find anything wrong except my glasses prescription had changed a little but to be honest I barely wear my glasses anyway. I have astigmatism in my eyes and it doesn't really affect me too much hence I only wear them on occasion.

Now with all this cleared up, the symptoms are still there. It's sort of on and off really now, I have days where I feel normal and great and I have days like today where it's back again. What I don't understand is, how does a headache/ pressure last almost three weeks? Now I've been told that "three weeks in the world of medicine isn't too long" by said friend doctor. I'm honestly confused as to what is wrong with me and would like to find out and just be rid of it really. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have similar symptoms. I think you should try keeping a food log and do an elimination diet for gluten, dairy, sugar and coffee. Look up Hashimotos Thyroiditis and get blood work done to check your Thyroid Peridoxase AB level.

In my opinion, it sounds like you have a lot of inflammation that comes and goes. You might also have brain fog, dizziness, bouts of depression and feel bloated and 'out if it'. If so, your body might be reacting to a food that is setting you off. With Hashimotos, it is essentially an autoimmune response and your body might be treating gluten, casin, sucrose, etc as the enemy causing your body to react.

I know it sounds different than what you have heard from MDs, but I couldn't figure it out either for at least a year and a half until I went to a holistic doctor who thought to check for Hashimotos.

Good luck! Also - don't let your doctor do just the regular thyroid panel. Make sure you get the Peridoxase AB one mentioned earlier.

• Posted

Hi, sorry you're having this problem, I have really awful pressure headaches, so I sympathise, although mine are from a known source, a common after effect of earlier cetebrovascular surgery. However, some of the effects you're having sound rather similar to hydrocephalus, which IS the after effect I have. I find that ANY upper respiratory infection, at all, sets my headaches off. Ibuprofen is the only med that seems to have any great impact, oddly enough, something that can relieve the worst of the pressure, for me, is leaning forward, while seated, so I'm looking straight down, at the floor, then turning my head, fairl rapidly, from side to side. It sounds stupid, but it seems to move the pressure around, which, generally, eases the pain/pressure. I don't know if this could help you at all, either way, I hope you find a solution soon.
  • Posted

Would like to provide an update as to what I discovered today. Is the skull a uniform shape? Because the top left of the back of my skull/ head is bumpier than the right side and it's a bony bump/ lump as well.
  • Posted

Would like to provide another update, as of yesterday my right hand has started to twitch/ spasm a little. Fast forward to today, for the past three hours now it has been twitching/ spasming on and off.

Also saw my doctor again today (a new one) and he said it was a occipital headache and that he did neurology test, he tested my power, tone and motion and had a feel of my cervical spine and neck area. He said they were all fine and normal. He has however referred me for a cervical neck x-ray. Finally some further testing! But if anyone has any answers please help me out. I'm terrified.

• Posted

I'm sorry that this is happening to you, I know what it's like to have loads of symptoms, but no idea what it is that you're dealing with.

Keep an ongoing written record of any and all health concerns that you have. When possible, record both start AND end dates of symptoms. A written record can be really handy for medical appointments, also record any questions you may have. When going to appointments, write down a list of any questions you have, as it's so easy to forget things. If you're happy to do so, and another person can go with you, take them, head pain can make it ridiculously easy to forget information, or something else you want to say/report, or miss something that's being said by the medic you're seeing.

Finally, I'd recommend looking for some kind of relaxation techniques, online. As hard as it is, to relax, when you're dealing with health problems, it might go a little way towards easing your stress levels.

• Posted

I know this post was some time ago, but I am having the same symptoms. I also have tingling and spasms that are happening in my face I am so tertified! I've had a CT scan which the doctor said was normal, I am now awaiting a MRI as these symptoms are still apparent. What was your diagnosis? Any information would be helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.