Brain scarring and epilepsy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was given an overdose of medication by my doctor. He told me to double all of my medications because I was having problems with the dosages he had prescribed before. I had a seizure afterwards and was diagnosed with brain scarring. Can brain scarring and epilepsy be caused by a prescription drug overdose? My neurologist tells me that some people just get brain scarring and that the overdose did not cause the brain scarring. I, however, find this impossible to believe. Does anyone know anything about a situation like this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have a brain scarring called right hippocampal sclerosis. A part of the temporal lobe. It's what caused my temporal lobe epilepsy and has so far caused me to be resistant to all the anti epilepsy medications I have tried. The hippocampal sclerosis is common in people with temporal lobe epilepsy but not caused by medicine I wouldn't think, causes to my scar can be brain related illnesses or head traumas, my cause not known but my neurologist thinks it could be from a febrile convulsion I had as a baby. 

Because of the resistance my last medicine keppra got raised way to high and caused nasty seizures and other side effects.

Did your doctor say where in the brain the scar was? And did he just say or did you get an mri done, I'd be surprised if they could just guess at a brain scar without a test. The MRI scan would show a scar

hope this helps anyway smile

• Posted

I was hospitalized when it happened the first time (it happened again a month later with a different doctor!-siezre with overdose) and second and then had a neurological unit weeklong observation. They gave me MRI's and they showed scarring on my brain. As far as I know it was never there before the overdose the doctor gave me
  • Posted

Hi Leeann ,

myself I can't speak for anyone else but I do know these meds effect us all in different ways.....

ive talked to a few guys that have done exceedingly well on keppra....

ive been taking 3000 mil a day of it and I'm the unruliest , unfriendly person you'd ever want to meet so an epileptologist is weening me away from it and onto another...

i guess what I'm saying that in my mind anything is possible.

all my best,

allen

• Posted

Do you know if a prescription drug overdose causes brain scarring? I wish you the best with your situation!
  • Posted

LeeAnn

I started having epilepsy at 14/15 I was put on phenobarbitone in those days and graually they have upped them over the years and tried me on other drugs with phenobarbs, I was told my head was scarred also and I thought what is he on about.

I do not know why I have them but I do (swears under breath) phenobarbs seem to work with me until they upped them and I was feeling really ill.  They do not seem to listen to us which is so annoying, as we know how we feel and what works for us.   I told my Doc that I must not take any higher but he said you have to and upped it.  I went back with a burning in my gullet and tummy, then they listened in a matter of fact way but did they make me suffer !! and poor Allen on all that Keppra !!  Good luck and take what you think is best for you xx

Win

• Posted

`Was your brain scarring caused by an injury? Do you know what caused the scarring? 

I have been taking lamotrigine for gran mals and zonisamide for complex partial ones if that helps you with your medications any. Maybe you could ask your doctor about switching you to them? I was on tegretal before the lamictal and that worked well. But then I was given yet another overdose by a medical professional that almost killed me! I had to be put in a medically induced coma and on a respirator! But the lamictal and zonisamide have worked wonderfully for me with absolutely no side effects.

I hope I have been of some help to you and I wish you nothing but well!

Lee Ann XOXO

• Posted

Hi IamLeeAnn, there's only one person who knows and understands your body and that's you. Take Dr's advice but go with what you feel will work. You're right though about too much drug , because it can sometimes increase and make your epilepsy worse. I've experienced it myself. Karen
    • Posted

Thank goodness I am doing extremely well on the meds I am taking now. What I am asking is does anyone know if a prescription drug overdose can cause brain scarring? I suddenly had brain scarring and epilepsy after I was given an overdose of my medications by my doctor (he told me to double the amount I was taking of everything!). My neurologist says that my brain scarring 'just happened' because it was not caused by the overdose and I have never had a brain injury to cause it. 

I wish you the best!

Lee Ann smile

• Posted

We should all in a polite way tell our Docs what we want to try and see how we get on.

He took me off higher dose and I don't have to take the chalky pills anymore.

See they wont have it but it was too high as directly,  well a week  or 2 after the burning stopped.

Good luck to us All  xxxx   Hi again Karen xxx  and Allen,  All for one and one for All....  Rides off into the Supermarket  Hi Ho Silver and away lol xxxx Lets see a smile from us all xx Laughing at my silly post lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.