Brain shocks,zaps or/and brain belters

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.I haven't posted before on here but i would be greatful if anyone has any more info regarding 'head shocks' or 'brain zaps'.I read a few old posts that some have called them 'zingers'.I prefer to call them 'belters' as thats the ferocity of them.

Iv'e been getting these debilitating and life affecting shocks for years and they have been non stop.They sometimes happen when i blink but sometimes they just happen.I've been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and i was prescribed pregabalin for that and neuropathic pain.I have depression too but so far i have been able to cope without meds foe it, not sure how long that will last.I als have a numbness on both sides of my head and it also feels like i have a worm travelling along and underneath my scalp or a weird tingling feeling.I have not taken any anti-depressants for over a year and so i don't think it can be anything to do with that.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi YOD,

I know the exact feeling you're talking about. I used to get them when I was taking SSRI's and then when I quit cold turkey I had intense zaps for about a month. Literally every time I so much as blinked my head would spin like I was drunk accompanied by the zzzzzz sensation and sound in my ears. It was delightful. Do you think your zaps are a side effect of your meds? Nowadays I get them when I'm really anxious. I have pretty severe GAD and depression.

• Posted

Hi Bird82,

No not really.

I used to take SSRI's but hav not taken any for many years.

I take pregabalin 600mg but am having side affects of hand numbing.

I have cronic tinnitus, which is ABSOLUTELY DEAFENING and my brain shocks hurt like hell.Most days my checkbones and temples feel like they are being crushed in a clamp.

Current reseach seems to point to following,

Trieminal Neuralgia due to the nerves/neurotransmitters that have damage and causes the pain receptors to fire off.

I thank you for taking the time to reply and i will continue to find some respite from this 'b******' of a condition.

Many thanks Bird82.

Regards.

YOD.

• Posted

Seriously drink a lot of water everyday and mive about a bit. Get yourself a sub lingual b12 vitamin.
  • Posted

Seriously drink a lot of water everyday and move about a bit. Get yourself a sub lingual b12 vitamin.
    • Posted

Hi lisalisa67,

That's quite interesting as i've heard that a few times before along with an iron deficiency maybe.

Can you explain the reason for the b12 vitamin?

Thanks.

YOD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.