Brain Tumour - Fake Stories

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been rather worried of late by finding out that people posting on here are fake , it gives me concerns as i don't know if i reply to a posting an the person is just playing , can cause emotional distressed to some of us , i come on here to see if i can relate to other members problems , comparing stories on medication , etc , i do feel this is a safe forum but having what i assume is one person using a number of different names asking the same question about him/her having a brain tumour just because of headaches , etc has unsettled me badly , only a doctor / consultant , etc can diagnose that so a person should go to their GP to be referred if concerns are serious , last night there was yet another posting on the subject which i did answer with my suggestions , i get alot of headaches but i don't straight away think i have a brain tumour , i just take pain killers , these fake profiles are worrying an i don't understand why they do it , maybe for attention , but what i thought was a safe forum is beginning to be slightly unsafe , however i shall continue to read postings from other members that i can relate to personally , thank you all .

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Well that's not very reassuring. I've been helped here and it's unfair to those that are seeking to get relieve.

I hope there's something that can be done about this, if it is true that there are these kinds of people out here and I hope they can be stopped as I trust this forum is very helpful.

• Posted

I think the brain tumor is one of the most common scares with health anxiety, as I myself have that same fear. I have the headaches and take pain killers but more often than not they do not help, sometimes people are on here for nefarious reasons and that Is unsettling but at the same time I'm not willing to assume that a posting looking for help is a fake one, even if it is,I give the best advice I can. At the end of the day I still happy I replied because if it can comfort one person then it's ok. Even if it's a fake poster there might be someone like me reading the post for some reassurance as I do with hundreds of the posts on here without replying myself so maybe think of it like that, even if the original poster is not real or serious someone reading your advice that you have may be and you possibly comforted them and gave them peace in some sort of way.

• Posted

Thank you - means alot to me that you are doing okay with this forum , i did recommend last night to the person who had , had his account deleted a few times as he kept on reposting the same concerns that he should go to his GP , a GP cannot diagnose such a tumour - MRI , etc can only really do that at the hospital but then you need a understanding GP who will listen to your concerns , it worrries me that people who are new to these forums will pick up on those Brain Tumours an it will start off their anxieties . last year a locum doctor at my surgery sent me to A&E because i had breathing problems ( my own GP didn't pick up any problems ! ) , while staying in the hospital i was told after CT Scans , Xrays that i had a mass of blood clots on the lungs ( don't snmoke or travel ny air ) , chest infection , kidney infection , i was told that i was atrisk of mini strokes , internal bleeding , though i suffer from anxiety i just accepted those problems - maybe because i am in my 50's now an didn't care if one day i didn't wake up . It is hard to diagnose brain tumours likewise remove them an i admire anyone who suffer from such an illness but headaches can make a person frighten if they are in a state of anxiety . I reply to any posting i feel i can add advice but more then often i read other people's comments left an tick yes if i agree with what they have said , i am worriedabout the young lad though who keeps on making up fake accounts as he obviously needs help , i hope he is okay xx

• Posted

I saw the person who had posted about a brain tumour and put two and two together when suddenly new people were entering the forum with the same complaint. I am at two minds as to whether the person behind them is genuine or not.

A brain tumour is a very common fear (I have found,) for anxiety sufferers especially those with health anxiety on top.

I agree that people should seek certain reassurance from their GP first and foremost; but if you have a genuin fear that you are living with day in, day out - I perfectly understand people coming here to air those fears and seek reassurance. This forum has been such a haven for me because I have been battling the issue your post is about.

If it wasn't for this place I believe I would have been so much worse, so much more frightened.

If the person behind those posts was a troll, the way I see it is that there will always be people who abuse something. These types are usually fairly obvious and many sounded the alarm and warned others to no longer respond. Once they are ignored they get bored fairly quickly.

We can penalise someone for their fear, though. I applaud you for not freaking out over headaches - I wish I could do the same!

• Posted

I think k I know who your talking about, and yes he was creating duplicate accounts - which is just an insult to everyone who tried to help. Some people just don't deserve help

• Posted

I get alot of headaches but i am on 11 different tabletsa day so just assume they are part of the side effects of the medication also if i am out then i don't drink much so can be dehydrated sometimes . I can understand that people do get frighten by the possiblity that they could have brain tumour as the head is quite involved inside .

• Posted

The main problem here really is that people come looking for a diagnosis - which noone here can give, we aren't drs. On the flip side there are those who come looking for advice, yet when they are given it - they ignore it. So much so that these people set up duplicate fake accounts. I guess the bottom line is not to put too much importance on this site, deal with drs and medical professionals,but don't come here for anything other than general advice

• Posted

Well i answered his posting last night an he said he kept having his accounts deleted , but i just suggested that he should see his GP , then he would be referred to hospital for MRI Scans , maybe CT Scans if he was that worried then that is what he would do , when i checked the posting this morning to see if anyone else had commented - the posting had been deleted , i just hope he is alright an does seek medical help ,

• Posted

His accounts were being deleted because the mods aren't stupid, they can tell very easily if someone is setting up duplicate accounts. Theres no legitimate reason for someone doing that, it's just someone being manipulative, so it's quite right they should be deleted - and it's also a sign to take what that person says with a pinch of salt

• Posted

There is a variety of mental illness on here. Although it is anxiety disorders some come on here definetly are dealing  with more then that. They most likely dont even know. Every site get trolls. Thankfully if you notice a pattern you report it. Click the report this button and the moderator will take care of it. You will learn about things you might not have or can even relate too. Everyone is different. This forum is useful and a great outlet. Some feel so outcasted and alone in all this and at least this forum can be  comforting in some way. We do all know it is surely more then "just anxiety" so even that is helpful.

).

• Posted

Hi all,

Without going into detail there has been quite a lot of this lately with users trolling the site posting the same thing over and over again. I don't know what they get out of it but if you think there are suspicious posts or users then please use the "Report" link to let me know or send me a Private message if you are concerned about a possible fake account. I can't read every post so rely on users letting me know if anything is happening in the forums.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Many thanks , i knew the posting i commented on the other night was very likely to be fake but gave the person the benefit of the doubt by commenting and suggesting that they go to see GP , noone on this forum has the experience to diagnose such a seious illness an it is an insult to those who are suffering from such a illness when others pretend they have one or any type of cancer . I find it very sad when people feel the need to troll such sites as all of us on this forum have some type of mental , physical illness an i enjoy coming on here ( an P E , Sleep Problems , Depression , Mirtazapine  sites ) to see what other users have posted - their personal experiences , their questions , etc , i don't go on every post as some i cannot relate to , or help , but i have found it to be one of the safest sites , thank you all who keep an eye on us all an making sure we are kept safe xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.