Brain zaps

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone know anything about brain zaps been having all day very scared, i know coming off some meds can do it but haven't stopped or change any meds. really scary feels like a shock inside my head. Ty

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would be interested to know as well, I've been having them on and off all for about 4-5 hours now. I was trying to keep my mind off of it and just keep busy, but I think that made it worse because I had what felt like a huge shock in my right side back temple area. So I've laying down ever since, but even laying I still get small sharp/stabbing random pains. They last a few seconds and then go away. I just started anxiety meds 6 days ago. I hate this feeling. And of course just Googling the worst of things which I know everyone says not to do... I feel awful just laying in bed not being around my kids or husband.

• Posted

I agree its horrible its like ill have them for a day. then they stop and come back, they scare me I try to keep my mind busy its so hard with this going on and the other symptoms in my head are going. I seriously thought about going to ER hope we can get some answers off here. Happy holidays

• Posted

Yes I agree 100% I deffantly thought about going to the ER as well. Especially because I don't want to wait another month for my follow up appointment with my doctor to talk with him about this. Even a few days prior to today and these sharp head pains I had been having feelings of head pressure, light headed feeling almost like air in my head. I went to the ER at the begining of this month for chest pains but of course everything came back fine. So I just push off going again because I feel stupid. Happy Holidays to you also!

• Edited

hope you both feel better and were able to relax for holidays. i havent had zaps but really struggling with head pressure. not even pain just intense pressure. i feel like my pulse is really strong in my temples which freaked me out too but apparently everyone can feel their pulse in their temples? im so fed up of thinking im ill.

you said you went to a&e last month for chest pains. have they gone and been replaced with head symptoms?

my anxiety does this. i have one symptom constantly and then without warning it goes only to be replaced by something equally scary somewhere else in my body.

• Posted

hi annette,

I have experienced brain zaps in the past and it started when my anxiety had first got worse (back in 2016) i haven't had them since and at that time i didn't get it checked. I think mine was truly my anxiety manifesting itself in a different form, but i don't want to speak on your be half. just wanted to share my experience. i hope this symptom goes away and you start to feel better.

Also the brain zaps i was experiencing felt like when a fly gets zapped by one of those traps, if that makes sense

• Posted

Ty. How long did it last and was it everyday? I appreciate you replying so sick of living everyday suffering.

• Posted

Now the brain zaps are lasting all day with sweating and lightheaded and ill feeling can anyone help

• Posted

Nothing to worry about at all. It is a delayed response by the oculovestibular complex that while often affected by medications, can also be sensed by persons who have been sleep-deprived or are suffering from a hangover from alcohol consumption during the previous evening. Even persons experiencing viral illnesses such as colds or the flu can experience these "zap" responses after having been in bed for extended periods.

It is actually nothing more than a very slight delay between eye movement and corresponding response by the inner ear that under normal circumstances occurs so rapidly that it cannot be detected. The purpose of the oculovestibular response is to derive constant awareness of the body's position in the space immediately around it in order to maintain balance and coordination that is controlled largely in the cerrebelum portion of the brain. The actual "zap" sensation is merely detection of slight impulses being sent to the muscular framework of the body that normally occur at such an extremely high rate that they are undetectable. The "zaps" are merely the result of slowed response time as described.

No need for concern. The effect is temporary and once the stimulus that is causing the disturbance to the oculovestibular response has dissipated, normal function will return. It is not a sign of any serious illness or disease of any type.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.