Brain zaps

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've posted on here before but just wondering if anyone has any information about brain zaps, along with all other symptoms in my head. The zaps sometimes are all day long other days they come and go. Not sure why I have them and no I haven't missed any meds, if anyone has info on them or how to get them to stop I would be very grateful. Ty and God bless

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

The phenomenon referred to as "brain zaps" are actually a side-effect of medications such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) or in some instances certain anxiolytic medications. It can occur during treatment or for a period following treatment.

The odd sensations are the medication's effect upon the occulo-vestibular complex, which is a constant feedback process between eye movement and the vestibular network of the inner ear. Its function is to relay constant nerve impulses to the body almost instantaneously in order to determine body position in the environment at any given time so that proper balance in the upright position is maintained.

When SSRI treatment results in changes to serotonin levels, the near-instantaneous process from eye movement to the vestibular network to the muscles from head to toe is diminished just enough that you are able to detect the subsequent nerve impulses that feel like zap sensations. It is a reflex action so it can actually be temporarily extinguished by rapid movement of the eyes from extreme left to extreme right as fast as possible for approximately 20 to 30 seconds. You'll find that the sensations temporarily abate.

Holding the eyes completely still for the same approximate time period will result in the return of the nerve impulses and consequently, the zap sensations. Understand that even the most slight movement of the eyes is sufficient to cause the sensations. In the absence of effects by the mentioned medications, the reflex is so rapid that it cannot be detected.

The zap effect can also arise if you have been bedridden for several days with a viral infection or in some instances can also occur in the midst of a hangover from excessive alcohol intake the previous evening. Some patients even report the sensation following several days of poor sleep and exhaustion. All of these circumstances can result in detection of the nerve impulses but SSRI treatment is the most common and produces the greatest frequency of impulses.

It poses no risk whatsoever and is an entirely normal physiological response that has been slightly affected by changes in serotonin levels. Nothing to worry about at all.

Best regards

• Posted

Wow, what a good reply. Are you a MD?

• Posted

"Wow, what a good reply. Are you a MD?"

Retired as of 2014.

I hold a degree in Biochemical Engineering as well.

• Posted

Ah right that explains it! would you mind if I pick your brain a min? and apologies op but I'm losing my mind here.

For a few years now, every time my body is preparing for a bm (before I'm on the toilet, before I even know I want to go in fact), I start sweating, have shortness of breath, tachycardia and shake. Then I have the bowel movement and about 10-15 mins later I feel ok. No doctor has ever been able to give me an answer. Many thanks!

• Edited

Initially, I'm surprised that a physician did not provide the underlying reason for your symptoms.

It is the mere consequence of a vasovagal response, which can begin some time prior to when you even feel the characteristic urge because the the process of colonic motility is somewhat complex and becomes active well in advance of the final process of evacuation, or in other words bowel movement.

At a point even prior to detection, gut wall innervation and receptors begin affecting the circular smooth muscle in the colon by way of gastrointestinal hormonal influence. Propagating motor complexes in the colon are stimulated by increased intraluminal(inside the bowel cavity) pressure generated by bulky fecal content.

As this process increasingly proceeds toward actual bowel movement, it is not uncommon at all for persons to sweat, experience palpitations or tachycardia, suffer chills and even nausea in the time-frame directly leading up to actual evacuation, or bowel movement. This process can be often be significantly affected by the consistency of the stool itself and whether constipation or diarrhea is present.

To aid in normal bowel function, it's important to focus upon adequate daily balance of both soluble and insoluble fiber. It's also important to start slow and build up to proper intake. In women, it is approximately 25 grams total, with approximately 8 grams of that total coming from soluble fiber. In men, it is 35 grams with approximately 10% representing soluble fiber. The right combination of soluble and insoluble fiber is very important in proper formation of bowel content.

Fiber intake must always be accompanied by adequate hydration and the target is approximately four 20 oz. per day and must be spread out over time rather than gulping down full glasses at a time. It is a regimen that requires discipline until it becomes habit. Once you've established consistency in adequate fiber intake and hydration you will find it to considerably lessen the symptoms you have been experiencing in bathroom habits. In other words, the easier you make it on the body's process where bowel movements are concerned, the less you will experience undesirable symptoms.

Again, the vasovagal response activity is normal and does not indicate the presence of any type of disease process lurking about somewhere. It is, however, important to maintain proper bowel health in the context of adequate fiber intake that must absolutely match the percentages of soluble to insoluble fiber that is accompanied by daily adequate hydration. You'll find yourself doing better in this area in a short time.

Best regards

• Edited

How nice of you to provide others with answers so many of us are searching for a cause and hopefully treatment as i was about brain zaps

maybe you could offer advice on this it was middle of night 2 1/2 years ago when i was awaken with severe case of dizziness it was horrible thru me into a panic attack as i thought i was having a stroke , sonce then everyday have had head symptoms dizziness, pressure, swaying in my head it's constant and scares me to point of dying, yes ive seen drs ,numerous tests with all that was found was mild case of cerebellar tonsillar ectopia, which claimed would no be cause of symptoms, could all this be anxiety or just a pattern my brain is accustomed to since going on for so long. Ty so much for your time.

• Edited

Dear Arthur,

I don't know how to thank you for your reply, it has been more helpful than endless medical visits.

I will most certainly follow your advice and thank you once again!

Kindest regards,

• Edited

Hi Annette! I was wondering if you still had the 'brain zaps' constantly as I think that is exactly what I am experiencing. And it is horrible and so draining 😦

• Posted

Yes its still happening only did it couple times today but recently ive had it all day just wish i knew why

• Posted

I am in the same boat and wish I knew why also. Since I have switched medication, the zaps do not seem to be as bad but are still there.

• Edited

Hello. I had explained the origin of the "brain zaps" above and have copied it here again.

The phenomenon referred to as "brain zaps" are actually a side-effect of medications such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) or in some instances certain anxiolytic medications. It can occur during treatment or for a period following treatment.

The odd sensations are the medication's effect upon the occulo-vestibular complex, which is a constant feedback process between eye movement and the vestibular network of the inner ear. Its function is to relay constant nerve impulses to the body almost instantaneously in order to determine body position in the environment at any given time so that proper balance in the upright position is maintained.

When SSRI treatment results in changes to serotonin levels, the near-instantaneous process from eye movement to the vestibular network to the muscles from head to toe is diminished just enough that you are able to detect the subsequent nerve impulses that feel like zap sensations. It is a reflex action so it can actually be temporarily extinguished by rapid movement of the eyes from extreme left to extreme right as fast as possible for approximately 20 to 30 seconds. You'll find that the sensations temporarily abate.

Holding the eyes completely still for the same approximate time period will result in the return of the nerve impulses and consequently, the zap sensations. Understand that even the most slight movement of the eyes is sufficient to cause the sensations. In the absence of effects by the mentioned medications, the reflex is so rapid that it cannot be detected.

The zap effect can also arise if you have been bedridden for several days with a viral infection or in some instances can also occur in the midst of a hangover from excessive alcohol intake the previous evening. Some patients even report the sensation following several days of poor sleep and exhaustion. All of these circumstances can result in detection of the nerve impulses but SSRI treatment is the most common and produces the greatest frequency of impulses.

It poses no risk whatsoever and is an entirely normal physiological response that has been slightly affected by changes in serotonin levels. While quite frustrating, this particular side-effect is nothing to worry about at all.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.