Brain zaps clarification

Posted , 5 users are following.

What exactly is meant by that? I've currently been in cit for 3 weeks and Buspar for a week and today currently started feeling weird things in my head such as like when u stand up too fast and the blood rushes to your head, also maybe a little like electric shock in the back of my brain kind of? Is this a typical brain zap or something else?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cody

I've not experienced brain zaps but from what I've gathered people describe them differently like electric shocks, sudden whooshing in the head. I think this could be the Buspar, I was prescribed it but never took it cause I didn't feel I could cope with another set of side effects on top of the citalopram side effects.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Who said that to you cit ?, no idea, can your explain what had been discussed regarding this

Regard having swimming feelings in head, that is possibly caused either turning your head fast or standing up to fast and the blood pressure can be restricted for a time until the blood pressure gets back to normal When we get older the the large arteries in our necks feeding the brain become blocked a little so the brain becomes starved fot a little time, normally there is nothing to worry about. Although later in life they may widen the arteries.

With regards the brain, your ift up or turn around to soon the brain moves to quick and starts slopping around in brain fluid. That settles soon as well

Peoples ears have problems as well they can effect balance, that can be caused by the eardrums been blocked or sometimes the blood supply can become restricted, getting your ears leaned out may help. I get Psoriasis in my ears and that effects my hearing, also get dizzy on occasions. All of above is my own ideas as picked up. Only your GP can tell you what is going on

• Posted

Hi. I know exactly what you mean, iv been on citalopram for 4 years and because they affect your nerve endings (neurotransmitters) it feels like your getting mini electric shocks. It will settle down once the medication settles. I find that if I forget to take it for a day i get them. They aren't very nice and feel strange but it's just the medication working on your nervous system x

• Posted

Check out the side effects for buspar, couldn't cope with that as well as citalopram. Problem is you don't know which drug is causing the problem. If you stick with it I'm sure the side effects will tone down though.

• Posted

Honestly my first two days on Buspar was the best I felt in close to a month then after that everytime I take one of my medicines Buspar in the am cit in the afternoon and Buspar in the eve I get the dizzy spells for atleast an hr after taking them and the side effects to Buspar was nausea and dizziness were the main two but I figured I'd feel it right away like i did with the cit I'm to the point where if I wasn't so far in with the cit Id quit taking all of it to see how I really feel being Not medicated but I wanna give it the full 6 weeks because if I can avoid more tests I wanna, like the ct and Mri because it scares the crap out of me to actually take the tests and get the results for fear they find something that can't be fixed because I'm so convinced that anxiety can't be causeing all of my problems I know it has been cause a lot of them but the dizziness weird sensations in my head are hard to right off as only anxiety

• Posted

What happened up to you starting the citalopram. How were you in yourself?
    • Posted

Well when I was at the hospital the first time I was super dizzy with this weird feeling in the back of my head almost fuzzy feeling but that went away when I was on antibiotics since they thought it was an infection and I believed that also so I felt good for two weeks, then the feeling came back and I went back and they could t give me an answer other then anxiety because my blood tests came back normal, so I didn't believe them and have felt worse actually but they gave cit and after the first 3 days being terrible the fuzzy brain stuff left but still have the dizzy kind of feelings left but I guess my deal is I got better once I thought I knew what was wrong with me and now I'm not sure if it's still the anxiety or the side effects of the medicine because I know I got better on my own even if it was just for two weeks, I'd take two normal weeks over a lot of things right about now lol

• Posted

Hi Cody

It is difficult to imagine anxiety causing such physical effects. I have been hit pretty hard and initially was told I had gastroenteritis as my nausea was so severe, this rapidly escalated and still can't believe what a horrific time it's been. I started citalopram 10mg for 3 weeks and now had 5 weeks on 20mg and I've still got terrible insomnia . I had awful heightened anxiety both on starting meds and when dose increased.

It's very confusing cause you don't know if it's side effects or the original anxiety problem not settling. Give it time and I'm sure things will start to settle. It's hard being patient waiting for the meds to start doing their job but many of us on the forum are or have been in the same position so there is lots of support on here.

Anxiety is the pits!

• Posted

Yes they sound like brain zaps.  I've had them - they're weird, and quite typical.  I experienced mine when I withdrew from meds some years ago.  To me it felt like my brain was having a short circuit.  Mine were worse when I was tired, and yes if I turned quickly.  They wear off - its just your body adjusting.

They shouldn't harm you but do let your doctor know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.