Brain zaps coming off of Citalpram/Celexa

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on 20mg of ceIexa for about a year after weight gain, my doctor decided to have me wean off of it and get on Buspar. It's taken 3 months to wean off of Citalopram. Last two weeks I've had two 2.5mg tablets over a 3 day period. It's now been 6 days without any medication. How long do the brain zaps typically last?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What I've learned per experience is tapering only 3-5% every 2-4 week's. The first taper waiting a month to see how you stabilize. This being if you've been on a while.

Also one can reinstate the med for a limited time. My doctor's as well as 100s of others I've heard from people are clueless on tapering properly. They do it way to fast and often switch you to another. 25 year's experience with SSRI's for me. Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac. Do your homework on SSRI's for yourself and all meds before taking. The side effects, long term issues, side effects, withdrawals etc. Very typical withdrawals your experienceing. I suffered many months. Just my experience. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I took 2mg this afternoon and it helped alleviate the frequency/intensity of the brain zaps. Perhaps I just need to continue tapering rather than stopping at 2mg.
  • Posted

Everyone is different - so it's unknown as to how long they'll last.  It could be a week, a month, etc.. sad

What has been reported to help reduce brain zaps is Omega-3: 

Fish oil capsules contain the omega-3 fatty acids called EPA and DHA. For nervous system support, take 2,000-3,000 mg EPA + DHA a day. You may need to look at the label and add up the amounts of EPA + DHA in a capsule. Usually, this amounts to 4-6 capsules of fish oil per day

Alternative is to return to a dose that’s manageable and then restarting your taper at a slower rate

• Posted

Thank you much for the suggestion. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.