Brain zaps effexor withdrawl

Posted , 21 users are following.

Does anyone have a cure for the brain zaps associated with effexor withdrawl?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had been on effexor for 6 years, been off for about a month, I found that Ginger extract for nausea, as well as a small dose of St. johns wart, have almost stopped the zaps. 😉

• Posted

I'll second what darkest21035 said reguarding ginger and add that a small amount of benadryl helped with my stress/pressure headache. Not sure if the benadryl will help with the zaps. 

Luck Luck,

Jan

• Posted

I was put on venlafaxine, AKA, Effexor 2 years ago for aniexiety from menapause & high blood pressure at 46. I had never been on any pills before in my life. Weighed 126, at 5'6 & healthy. I now weigh 164 and want off the pills! I have strange dreams, mood swings & when I try to skip pills I have horrible brain zapps. My doctor never warned me of any of these side effects. My dosage was 150 MG & when I told her I wanted to stop, she tried to increase the dose. I said no. I'm down to 37.5 and now going on a tablet so I can cut that in half as well. I feel like I should have been told ahead of time just how serious this pill was. Very upset & feel betrayed by my family doctor. It's my body, I should have been told the dangers involved.

Shelly

• Posted

After being on Effexor for 15 years or so, I'm trying to get off as well.  Wondered how your tablet reduction is going and about how long it took.  Thanks!

Ree

• Posted

I've noticed posts about using Omega 3 fish oil caps but couldn't find what the dosage should be.....anyone?  Many thanks to you all!

• Posted

Stop SLOWLY!!! I was using 150 mg a day. Took me about 6 months to get off it. Today is my second whole day Free of that drug! I had to get the "fast release" pill form. Do not try and get of the "slow release" tablet. It will not work. Not even my doctor new this. The pharmacist caught his mistake. Ask your doctor about this. The tablet was 37.5. I cut it down every two to three weeks until I could barely see the portion in the palm of my hand. Tonight I'm having pretty bad brain zaps, little nausea & loud pitches are extremely irritating but I'm off that damn pill. The side effects will only last about a week. I'm walking 3 miles a day now, eating better foods, not wanting alcohol & have my energy & happy attitude back. Getting ready to open my own little shop up! Didn't realize the comma that pill had me under. Should be outlawed! That pill is turning desperate & innocent people in to zombies!!!

• Posted

Thank you SO MUCH for your quick reply!  I'm so sorry to hear you are going through the brain zaps as we communicate.......I hope, with all my heart, they will lessen as each hour goes by!  I was also on 150mg.  I am down to 37.5 XR a day at the moment and plan on getting in to see my doctor (who thinks I'm a real wack-o because he has never seen this before) and requesting him to change me over to the pill form so I can do as you are.  When you cut your pill, did you do it in quarters or differently?  Proud of you for all the walking you are doing!  I just started 10 minutes a day on the treadmill and plan on working up to 1/2 hour daily.  I have MS as well and one of my symptoms is something called L'hermittes Sign or L'hermittes Syndrome........it is similar to the brain zaps but I truly can tell the difference between the two.  I tend to agree with you about the medication......I think it does more harm than good.  It took me years to realize I was just going through the paces and felt pretty numb to life!  Congrats on your opening and, again, many thanks for your help and support!

• Posted

Awww. You are too cute. Hang in there. You're on your off of this nasty drug. I'm very irritated with the lack of education these doctors seem to have in prescribing a drug that is so difficult to get off of. I only had one crying break down tonight when I ate my dinner that took 2 hours to cook and it didn't agree with my stomach.

I had cut my pill into quarters and the last quarter, I cut in half for another two weeks. I think I was nervous about quitting it all together. Turned out to be a very smart move. Make sure that you don't move too fast on cutting your pill down. When the brain zaps subside & you are feeling normal again then you cut it down again. There's no reason to rush. Pat yourself on the back each time you do it. You earned it. Do not listen to your doctor please. Don't let him guilt you. You know your body. First time I wanted off this pill, I just quit it all together. I thought I was having mini strokes. I had never heard of brain zaps until I started researching. I thought I was going nuts. I was glad to know I wasn't alone. You will be ok and it will not kill you. It's just uncomfortable for awhile. If you have any questions, just ask. It's good to know we're not alone! Stay on that tred mill! It perks up your spirits!

• Posted

I'm coming late to this thread so someone else may already have suggested it - I took high doses of Cod Liver Oil and a small amount of 5 htp both of which seemed to help.

Wishing you well

Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.