Brain zaps on a constant 225 mg dose

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello - I'm on venlafaxine 225 mg to treat chemical issues caused by electrical issues in my brain. I have an undiagnosed condition but the consultants have the opinion that I suffered moderate anoxia during an operation. 

I built up to 225 m -2weeks on 75, 4 weeks on 150 and now 9 weeks on 225

I am still suffering from the normal side effects but am now getting brain zaps and dizziness as if I am withdrawing! Can anyone help as I cannot see this side effect anywhere and feel as if I can come off it I couldn't feel any worse!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a question for your doctor as it sounds a pretty unique set of circumstances you've endured
    • Posted

I guess I was given it as I scored very highly in the depression and anxiety tests. I didn't FEEL anxious or depressed, but I do not experience any feelings although I may outwardly express them ( symptom of the brain damage ).  I don't really hold any hope on my gp's opinion as - as a practice they try not to prescribe venlafaxine. I was prescribed it by a neuro psychiatrist consultant at Addenbrookes. I just find the so called zaps and dizziness strange as all the blogs I have read say its a withdrawal symptom and not a side effect. 

• Posted

Maybe ur on to high of a dose?
  • Posted

Hi Muggy' I have been on venlafaxine for several years and was also on 225mg. As I am feeling better now and must add venlafaxine helped my depression  but not overnite"

I was on 150 for about 6 weeks and now on 75mgs and that's when I had to have a test for R Arthiritis as I had all the classic symptons? I have Arthiritis in my wrists and osteoarthritis in my spine and knees anyway. The pains persisted for weeks and as I am in constant pain anyway this added pain was unbearable at times... My gp told me that withdrawing from venlafaxine causes this? Thanks for telling me afterwards as I considerate they dropped me from a high dose to quickly. Good luck!!! You will be great I am sure xx

• Posted

Hi, I have been on 225mg for 6 weeks and I recently started getting brain zaps, especially when meditating. Some of these zaps are strong, so not so strong. I have never missed a dosage of venlafaxine. I also started slowly on 37.5mg for 1 week, 75mg for 2 weeks, 150mg for 1 week before starting on 225mg. I have had similar zaps when not on such medication when in bed before going to sleep but these zaps I had recently were more intense. I'd be interested to know what I can do about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.