BRAVO CLIP PH STUDY

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 13 year old daughter is due to have a Bravo Clip fitted to measure acid levels etc.

Has anyone had this done - how was the clip inserted ?

How long did the clip stay in ?

Will she have to press buttons etc as per the usual tube up the nose & into the stomach ph study - or does it just take the reading automatically ?

What was the outcome of having the clip fitted ?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had this done recently. Mine was done via endscopy and I highly recommend sedation as then you know absolutly nothing about it. It starts recording automatically and you can see the ph reading. I still had to press a button when I encountered pain.  The device automatically stops monitoring and as for the cpasule they attach it drops off and passes thru you. Its very tiny so I never saw mine. The consultant then discussed the results with me.

Its so much better than the tube down the nose job as you can eat pretty normally and its not unpleasant in any way.

• Posted

Thank you w knight - very informative.

Do you mind me asking what the outcome was and what if any treatment ?

There has been mention of an operation but didn't go into detail ! 

• Posted

This may be the answer for me if diet don't work  ! So don't know  as diet is working for me reflux  wise ,

as for hernia back for another camra on 20th then they assess what action to take  for me ! 

• Posted

Thank you w knight - very informative.

Do you mind me asking what the outcome was and what if any treatment ?

There has been mention of an operation but didn't go into detail !

• Posted

I had it done because we thought my PPI wasn't working but it proved that the PPI was doing its job and the pain was coming from somewhere else.

I prefer and it was recommended to me by the consultant to manage my condition with the PPI. I believe the operation is now more advanced but at the time I was told that if I had it done if I needed to be sick I would have to go to hospital. Since my job involved lots of overseas travel and food poisioning was an occupational hazard I was happy to manage with the PPI.  I think PPIs are wonderful as I can eat most things and am pain free

• Posted

Bravo pH capsule attached to delivery system The catheter-free test measures pH levels in your esophagus. These measurements allow your doctor to evaluate your heartburn and acid reflux symptoms and plan the best treatment for your diagnosis.

Your doctor will temporarily attach the capsule to the wall of your esophagus. The capsule is very small – about the size of a gel cap – and usually takes a few minutes to place. The dr uses the EGD scope to deliver the Bravo Catheter

Once the capsule is in position, suction is applied, and a small amount of esophageal tissue is drawn into the capsule, locking it in place.

The capsule takes Bravo Receiver continuous pH measurements for up to 48 hours and transmits that information wirelessly to a small receiver you wear on your waistband. After the study, information from the receiver is uploaded to a computer for analysis.

You can eat normally and engage in your usual activities during the test. The disposable pH capsule will spontaneously detach and pass through your digestive system after several days.

• Posted

Hi Alison; following on from GiGirl....if you research this on Google and find a site by Dr David S Shields, a Gastroenterologist, you will see that all that GiGirl has written....it sounds to me to be a Very Good and easy Diagnostic Assessment, and will provide an accurate guide to how/what other treatments maybe needed....and also ensure that your daughter does have a light Neurolept anaesthetic....this is just like a Valium/Hypnovel into the vein, which allows your daughter to respond to instructions, but the advantage is that she will not remember Anything, and only takes a short while to get the relaxant out of her system (nothing like a General Anaesthetic).....hoping all succeeds with good results, and are looking forward to hearing how she goes......Bron
  • Posted

Hi Alison

I was an Endoscopy Nurse/GI Nurse for over 20 years. When I left they were just starting to use the Bravo. Since your daughter is 13 they may do it in a pediatric

Endo Center/Hospital or they could do it an Adult Endo Center or Hospital.

It is no different then haing a EGD/Upper Endosocopy. You lay on your left side.

They spray your throat with a numbing spray. You get sedated mainly with a

drug called Versed. It causes Amnesia it is IV. They put a bite block in your

mouth and the dr guides the scope to the back of your throat and then will

say swallow ur awake but do not remember because the sedation medicine

causes amnesia. The more medication they give the sleepier you get.

A small capsule, about the size of a gel cap, is temporarily attached to the wall of the esophagus during an upper endoscopy. The capsule measures pH levels in the esophagus and transmits readings by radio telecommunications to a receiver (about the size of a pager) worn on your belt or waistband. The receiver has several buttons on it that you will press to record symptoms of GERD such as heartburn (the nurse will tell you what symptoms to record). You will be asked to maintain a diary to record certain events such as when you start and stop eating and drinking, when you lie down, and when you get back up.

Each dr is different they will tell u to stop taking the PPI about 7 days prior to the test the H2 BLockers(Zantac Pepcid) 2-3 days before the test Antacids a day before thes test. Your dr will tell you how to prepare. After the Bravo is inserted

You resume your normal activity You want to eat normally so you will produce acid. Try to avoid snacking or sicking on hard candy or lozenges because it effects the acid air and digestion. You want to eat the foods that make you feel the worst. Try not to lie down especially when eating only lie down at night.

Follow your drs advice on your other meds. Press the appropriate button on the receiver when symptoms occur. Record the time you start and stop eating and drinking I think u dont have to do that for water Record the time you lie down  when you get back up. After about 48 hours you return the moniter. The ph capsule will work its way out of your body in about a week. I hope this helps Thanks

• Posted

I forgot to say I have never been a

pediatric GI nurse but the places

where I worked we often scoped

kids who were 13-18yo. They also

may use a different type of medication.

Valium I thought really is not used

anymore but perhaps they still

use it in pediatric units. They have

also been using general anesthesia

for some Endoscopies they use Diprivan(propofal). It depends on

the dr the facility and the country.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Alison. I have not heard of this clip before so can't give you any helpful information regarding it, sorry.

I have wondered myself how they measure the amount of stomach acid our body makes because my doctor has told me I probably have excess stomach acid which is causing the problem, but I have read elsewhere that low stomach acid can also be a problem. The trouble is, the doctor just assumes the situation and hands out tablets willy nilly without getting to the route of the problem. I know that certain foods are acid forming and some are alkaline.

I would be very interested in hearing more about this.

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments - very helpful - sorry GI GIrl - I don't check in everyday and didn't realise immediate responses were expected ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.