Bread, Potatoes & Pasta!!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Just had to let you know what the Nurse said to me last night before she let me have the tablets again - I had put on about 1/2 stone since January - but hadn't really been doing much different than when I was taking the tablets, I was really fed up and though I wanted to do it on my own it never really happened and I was really shocked that I had put on 7lbs.

Anyway she asked me if I would like her to refer me for CBT and after she had explained that it would help me retrain my brain to not overeat she went on to say that we shouldn't really eat enything that we couldn't eat with a knife & fork - so I said oh but what about Toast and she went off the handle about the fact that I shouldn't eat bread, potatoes or pasta

I had difficulty with this as if you cut these out then what do you fill yourself up with - anyone got any suggestions? She did relent a little by the end of the conversation to say that 2 tablespoons would be okay but that I should defo not eat another slice of bread again - not even brown, granary, wholemeal!!! What right has this woman (who I might add is not stick thin herself, but unlike me is tall and therefore carries it better) to lecture me like this. It infuriates me that they are like this - it's hard enough to lose weight and all you need is a sypathetic ear but they are few and far between!!!

Sorry to rant - the outcome was that I got the tablets and she is also going to refer me for CBT - anyone out there had any experiences of this treatment? It might help with my counting OCD so heres hoping.

Those of you who are not asleep after reading this garbage - I'm just going to lay out on a plate a couple of sugar free mints and line up a knife & fork!!!!! Certainly gets you thinking doesn't it?

Jane

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane

I can understand why you went into rant mode. This is a rediculous thing to say. Sounds like she's advocating cutting out all carbs - pah! :evil:

Don't know about you but I'd prefer to be able to eat a range of things, cos I sure as hell ain't going to be able to avoid everything that's supposed to be bad for me for the rest of my life.

As for CBT, have done that. And yes, you should find it helps. It's not a magic cure, but it's worth working on.

Good luck with it all

Alli

• Posted

Hi Jane

I fully sympathise with you but have to say your rant is hillarious!

Sounds like your nurse has an issue with Carbs herself; i have eaten loads of carbs over the last 2 weeks since starting on the tablets and i've managed to lose 10lbs. My head went into a spin when talkin to some friends about diets, dont eat carbs, dont eat after 6pm, dont eat too many bananas ... the only thing consistent in their advice was \"DONT EAT\" which would have been the best advice.

Anyway, my old nana used to say to me everything in moderation, and she's damn right too!

C x

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry for asking, but what is cbt?

Sturdy

• Posted

i think it will be cognitive behaviour therapy ... a form of counselling if im right?!
  • Posted

yes thats what cbt stands for it and it can be used for lots of things to retrain your brain into thinking differently

cutting out carbs is crap! might as well go on the aitkins diet - which ive been told is not a healthy way to lose weight!

id like to use my fave saying here and tell that nurse to stick it up her arse (granary, white bloody wheat free whatever)

a healthy diet is made up of protein and fats and carbs!!!! we all know the common sense approach but we all struggle with our weight hence these little blue pills!!!

eat in moderation - carbs are fine - well my doc says soo too. medium meat smaller carbs and bulk with veg!!!

ps) can i come to your next weigh in with this nurse? Id like to get her on the bloody scales!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies - I've got on the scales this morning and from being 14st 3lbs yesterday I've already dropped 1 and 1/4lbs!! and I had a slice of bread!!! :lol:

I will take great pleasure in April when I go to get weighed to tell her to poke her advice where the sun don't shine!! :lol:

Here's hoping that I keep loosing and everyone else too :wink: - but note to self don't get on the scales again until next wednesday and measure my bits this weekend.

Have a good weekend everyone :wink:

Jane

• Posted

Hi there,

Ok, my nurse gave me some really good advice, which has really really worked.

On everything you eat, check the food lable, and in the 'per 100g' column, make sure you don't eat anything that has more than 5g of fat (total) per 100g. I have totally stuck by this rule and the weight is falling off, 1stone off so far in 5 weeks, can't be bad!

You may have to eat some really plain food, but it's a great rule-of-thumb. Silly nurse shouldn't tell you not to eat bread, pasta and potatoes, they're naturally low in fat, just don't put butter/spread on them!

Thanks and good luck!

Fand

• Posted

Not sure who your nurse is but as someone with a nutritional training i'm afraid her advice is not entirely correct. As part of a balanced diet you most definitely do need to eat carbohydrates - what you don't need are refined ones which you metabolise quickly and lead to peaks and troughs in your blood sugar. Go for wholegrain / wholewheat breads and don't slather them in fatty spreads, use brown rice not white and if you eat spuds use minimum fat for cooking them and avoid mashing. The GI diet was developed originally for people with type 2 diabetes to encourage them to eat complex carbohydrates and even out their blood sugar. It is a healthy way to eat and not too prescriptive. There are lots of cookery books based on GI principles if you want more information.

Cognitive behavioural therapy is a psychotherapy intervention which helps people to break unhelpful beliefs or habits and replace them with more helpful ones. So if you eat when you're bored or upset then it would help you think about what else you can do other than reach for the biscuit tin

• Posted

Just a footnote to Fand's post....I have found that if I toast bread and eat it straight away I don't need butter and jam. Toast with just bananas on it is great...no fat there at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.