Breaking out bad, maybe trying colgate and vaseline

Posted , 6 users are following.

So i've been breaking out badly lately. I want to try some home remedies, i saw that using colgate and vaseline could help. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did it work for you?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

hi, I dont think they will help that much, they will just dry your skin out. Start with drinking lots of water & eating lots of vegtables. Cutting out dairy &/or sugar may help too.

I have had acne for years which eventually turned into painful cystic acne. Only isotretinion worked in the end for me but if your acne is new its probably diet, if not maybe stress or hygiene.

• Posted

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it.

• Edited

Try Paula's choice anti redness liquid exfoliant. If it is just a recent break out, rather than a long standing problem, this treats the immediate problem and helps those spots clear up that are too deep to squeeze! I have had on and off acne for years and tried many different treatments topically and this is the best I have found. The only thing that worked tablet wise for me was the contraceptive pills Dianette and Yasmin but after suffering with multiple pulmonary emboli recently as a result I wouldn't recommend anything like that! Toothpaste can help dry out spots, but I would say vaseline could possibly make them worse as it is quite greasy. But I haven't tried it so I may be wrong.

• Edited

Hi Suejeff, I would not use vaseline as it is a petroleum product(thick oil based w/o medicine) provides a layer to keep acne from drying out, adding grease & clogging pores(this is in a lot of makeup products) so cleaning your makeup off/sunscreen at night is REALLY important, also washing your face twice a day(using a cloth, skin cleaning brush, etc.. rubbing with fingers and splashing water doesn't get out all the dirt, get rid of dead skin cells that clog pores) the toothpaste helps dry them out & your zits will be minty fresh... but, has flouride so you shouldn't use it on a large area...there may be a few homemade mixes but, you're better off probably buying a tube of something made specifically for acne(generic, it doesn't need to be expensive)to temporarily shrink one or two, a little cold pack can get rid of redness but, not helpful long term...if you have some that are painful, try using a warm compress(to soften/relax skin) is a better option, then apply ointment to get max benefit. Try to keep a healthy diet, junk foods, smoking can cause inflammation(even wrinkles) & make breakouts worse but, so can hormones, if it is really bad...consult your DR as it can become infected or cystic requiring advanced treatment. Picking, squeezing, using tools & etc...breaks the skin & can cause scarring, infection and actually make it worse by pushing the pus deeper into the skin & damaging surrounding healthy skin...hope this helps a little, wish I could be more helpful, those little buggers can sure cause you grief...Good Luck💒🎶♾🌈🐾🍀☮

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.