Breaking point

Posted , 6 users are following.

I keep having anxiety attacks one after another each more severe. Constant panic of something killing me in my head. I went to hospital yesterday due to flu they did blood work on me and it showed signs of infection in my chest which is being treated. But my anxiety about my head is getting so severe I just want to end it all, it's ruined my life, lost my job, friends, family think I'm mental. I haven't cried since I was a kid I'm literally sat here tears everywhere thinking I'm losing my mind. I was on the phone to the doctor he said its severe health anxiety. And he explained if it was s tumour people who leave it untreated usually die within 2 months. I've had these weird fullness sensations for 4 so that reassured me. He also followed up saying anyreusim if you had an Unburst one you would lose control of a part of your body completely; a burst one would mean collapsing. I'm sure I don't have either but my anxiety is literally telling me different and just making I harder and harder to believe I don't have one. I don't know what to do. I can't live like this anymore I really can't. I'm 19 I don't get why this is happening to me

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Again, Olly smile ahh... I am sorry you're feeling like this sad this is not fun... Not fun at all.

None of this is your fault. I hope you know this? You are ill, just not in the way you think.

He is right. Untreated tumours grow. Yes, it is true that tumours can take a long time to reach that stage, but as my doctor told me: once they begin to cause trouble (you noticing symptoms,) then the time frame for this is limited. Remember there is only so much room for a tumour to go inside your head. Ultimately it will squash the brain and cause all manor of symptoms.

You don't have a brain tumour. You have health anxiety. You can only stand up to your enemy when you know them...so acknowledge what you are doing and then think of your options.

You can seek help..counselling would really benefit you and with the right counsellor you will feel far less alone I promise.

• Posted

Doctors have urged me to get therapy and antidepressants, it feels like it's my fault. A few months ago I was going to the gym every day, out at weekends loved my job then something happened and I have no idea what and it spiralled out of control. I don't want to keep pestering people by posting but everyone who comments are the people who calm me down and it helps a lot. I don't get why this is getting more and more severe or how it started rolleyes doctors on Monday im sure he'll help me

• Posted

It isn't your fault. If you caught a cold or the flu, you wouldn't think it your fault, this is no different.

Sometimes anxiety and depression overtake us. I can't say definitively but I would guess you have both. The two are closely linked and they pack quite a punch.

It's okay to worry about yourself. It is okay to want to get ailments evaluated and treated. It isn't healthy for you to think you have a serious condition which could kill you (especially when your doctor tells you that you do not need to be concerned.) I say it isn't healthy because it is causing you serious upset... You can live your life again. You just need to accept how you are feeling and push for help. It's hard and scary....I am like you right now. I think I have a tumour. I'm frightened I could be ill despite my doctors telling me my issue is just a problem within my ears. But in the end I grew tired of feeling this way...so I found a therapist and I am returning to the doctor to push for a solution with my ears.

Life is frightening. Sometimes we just have to face it head on. You can too I know it smile

• Posted

Hi olly!

I am currently going through the same thing as you. For 4 months now I've been experiencing the worst health anxiety I've ever had over the fear of brain tumors, aneurysms, MS, ALS......and the list goes on. If it has to do with my brain, you name it, and I'll think I have it. Once I've convinced myself that I don't have one of these horrible things, I'll find another one to obsess over.

I'm 22, and this is no way to live. Have you talked to a therapist or tried any medication? Ive recently started CBT and I'm on a low dose of citalopram (celexa). Although the medicine will not take away the health anxiety, I have noticed that it does take the edge off of a lot of my panic. Not to say that I don't still have panic attacks, but the severity seems to have decreased. The horrible thinking patterns are the worst thing to overcome, but with the right help it is possible!! I'm just now learning all this myself :D You CAN overcome this.

• Posted

I really hope so, it's all in our heads I think all the time I have the same thing as you, and as I have chest infection and flu headache is obviously going to follow. But the doctor on the phone explained to me throughly and reassured me it won't be any of those things. If we did we would be worse off, but when panic strikes you can't help it

• Posted

Yes, SillyMop is correct. It would really help you to get counseling or therapy. Things will get better for you. It makes me sad to think of someone at 19 just wanted things to end. I'm not much older and I've felt that too, so I understand. But you should be looking ahead to all the excitements of life, and therapy and proper treatment will get you to that place. Much love to you.

Peace xxx

• Posted

OLLY

It is very important you go and make an appointment with your GP and get some help. Possibly medications and CBT.

Medical Anxiety makes people worry about their health, most of these concerns are of very rare conditions and do not follow the illness pathway, that is why you need help

Talk to your Surgery and make an appointment.

Good luck I hope your flue gets better soon

BOB

• Posted

Thank you, just have slight difficulty breathing but the hospital explained it's cause it's all infected around my chest and with flu it's harder so if I have a rapid heart beat I'll know to calm myself down I don't want to keep calling paramedics

• Posted

You sound just like me I had a bloated stomach and lost appetite I was obsessed with cancer I have seen my gp twice been put on sertraline 50mg and been to a&e twice every time they have told me it is nothing urine and bloods all clear but I feel so ill all the time I just can't get my stupid head to understand this is anxiety and depression I am pushing everyone away it sucks!

• Posted

I feel you, I'm trying to convince myself that I know I don't have it, but my head physically won't allow me to think that. Every reassures me

It's not GPS' nurses, doctors the lot. I know deep down I would be FAR worse off if I genuinely had something like that so I'm going to keep thinking that

• Posted

You are not alone it's so nice to speak to someone who gets it! I feel every twinge in my stomach it wakes me in the night whatever I am doing I feel it keeping myself busy it's there it's driving me crazy! My gp is brilliant I saw him this morning and he said 100% you don't need a scan. I'm fine while I'm with the dr and believe him and the 2nd I leave I think you are wrong I know I have been misdiagnosed. The sympathy from family and friends is running out!!

• Posted

Oh believe me, family and friends lost hope just call me crazy. Told the paramedic that and she went mad that people said that as we can't help this... I don't think people grasp the fact we don't choose to have this. I have a bad headache now but it's causing 0 anxiety cause I know full well I'm very unwell and I'll obviously have a headache. We just suffer from anxiety, there's nothing wrong with us physically, we just need to find a way to get past it. I'm starting to come to terms. It seems very common this, I feel every twinge in my head cause that's where my anxiety is based around, and you feel every twinge in your stomach because of your anxiety. That reassures me because countless times I've seen people say they feel every sensation where they feel anxiety. Don't think there's anything wrong with us, well besides the obvious... But that can be stopped, this is coming from the biggest worrier you'll meet smile

• Posted

The 2nd biggest worrier I just had a twinge in my stomach got up and moved around always a pleasure to meet a fellow nutty person 😂😂 just take every day as it comes something we have to live it with!!

• Posted

And the worst think I don't feel anxious at all but I must be I'm beyond help!

• Posted

I can't say anything, just had a headache and that made me have a mini anxiety moment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.