breaking the cycle

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi i was diagnosed with gad a few weeks b4 xmas...i had no warning signs of anything unitl i had a panic attack then the same day i had another 3 which made me concerned enough to go to a+e who did bloods and ecg and told me what it was...i was sent on my merry way feeling a bit silly and was told any problems visit my gp.....the next few days after i felt a bit detached and had physical symptons so i went to see my gp who advised me that all the symptoms i was experiencing were normal and i needed to break the cycle of thinking about it!!! i joined up to a mindfullness awareness class and they taught me how to turn off the head chatter and how to breath etc which is going great and i dont fear the attacks and if it happens it happens noone in the room even knows its happening but the physical symptoms are a bit different even if im not thinking about them they are always there, they dont hold me back as i work full time and keep busy outside work...how do i break the cycle of the physical symptons?? im told not to think about them which i dont but they are always there i wake with them.. so im after some tips etc on how to deal with this part as  im not on any meds atm 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Following this post as i too have learned to deal with my thoughts but the physical symptoms are there for me too. Not every day but most days. I am on hydroxyzine and that does not stop the physical symptoms for me.
    • Posted

Could u tell me what ur physical symptoms are? I have them on a daily basis. And just wanna see if I can relate. I take Buspar and just started that. But not working yet, some days I wonder if I'm dying! Chest tightness is here all day everyday. Leg and arm weekness everyday, I kinda find it very hard to believe this is all from anxiety.
    • Posted

Chest aching. Left rib pain. Left shoulder tightness. Headaches. Eye floaters.
    • Posted

I also find it hard to believe!
    • Posted

My symptoms are muscle ache chest tightness and lump in throat sensation they are the ones that never leave but on occasions I'm light headed and have a sick feeling and Xtra tired 😮
  • Posted

Hi, you seem to have had a really difficult couple of months. From my experience  their are often signs/symptoms of anxiety that we overlook prior to panic attacks. panic attacks are horrible and scary to experience. you seem to be handling things really well and doing all the right things. It has only been a few month, i reckon your physical symptoms will settle down if you keep doing as your doing. good luck  
  • Posted

Could u please tell me what your physical symptoms are?
  • Posted

Apart from the therapies like CBT or the one you are doing there are also drugs. Some people do well on beta blockers (propranolol) for the physical symptoms or SSRI antidepressants which work for some people but make my anxiety worse. There is also Buspirone which is not related to any other drug. 

Were you diagnosed by a psychiatrist, it sounds more like panic disorder and when you are ok you seem to be coping well.

My physical symproms affect me bady in my stomach with severe butterflies and agitation and high level of fear and worry. 

Could you tell me about mindfulness and how much it costs?

I take diazepam or valium (benzodiazapine) which is immediate relief but in the long run addictive and tolerance is a problem.

I have had it all my life and drank heavy on it but destroyed my health in the process and realise now that alcohol only makes anxiety worse.

Good luck

• Posted

I was told at hospital it was a panic attack and when I went to gp I had lots of tests done to rule stuff out and attended her for 5 weeks as she give me different techniques to try but the symptoms are always there so she then said it was gad! it's very frustrating - where I live the wait for cbt on nhs is at least 15 weeks for a consultation so I looked into and found a girl who takes courses private it's only an 1.5 hours a week for 4 weeks and was £60 so I went for it and I did learn a lot...my symptoms only started the day after the attack and they are awful from light head, sick feeling, tightness in chest and throat and muscle soreness as I said I can deal with the attacks and they are rare ATM but the daily symptoms are a nightmare
  • Posted

Hi, I honestly cannot say what breaks the physical cycle. Mine come and go usually a few weeks at a time. When I am symtom free I can't seem to accept it. I kind of tell myself what the hell, I am actually symtom free for over a week and because I start thinking that they come back. Daft I know but this is how it works with me... The only things that makes me feel free and forget is exercise... I think you need to teach you brain to accept and ignore, but easier said than done...
    • Posted

I exercise a lot and yes it gets rid of the symptoms but as soon as I settle down to rest they come back even if I'm not thinking about them it's annoying I'm deffo better when busy but I'm exhausted and want that down time if u no what I mean 😬
    • Posted

Yes I know what you mean. You can't exercise all the time rest is also just as important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.